Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   can't decide on a pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-decide-pattern-t297614.html)

meyert 06-15-2018 07:51 AM

thanks everyone - warm wishes and DP9 patch. Those would be quick

DP9 with the star pattern in the center, the blue as the side pieces and the tan in the tiny square. It will look great.
How would I make that work? I have never made a DP9 honestly

meyert 06-15-2018 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8076668)
I might use the 3 fabrics for the MSQC Strip Butterfly pattern. Another good one is the MSQC Pins and Paws cat pattern in just the 2 blue fabrics. They are both easy patterns and I find young people like an easily recognizable pattern.

that butterfly one is cool... I've never made that one before ....

elnan 06-15-2018 08:39 AM

[QUOTE=meyert;8076502]This summer I have family coming in from Europe to visit. My cousin's granddaughter is coming with them. She is 10 and I was thinking I would like to make a quilt to take home with her. I can't decide on a pattern.

I'd be inclined to go for a panel that depicts an area she will be visiting.

QuiltingNinaSue 06-15-2018 09:06 AM

If she doe not like your color choice, maybe the cousins would purchase her choice at your favorite fabric quilt store...and everyone helps make it as a group project. Eleanor Burns book Still Stripping is full of strip ideas or look up Quick Quilts in a Google search. Teresa down under has free video patterns, www.quiltcache.com has over 1600 free patterns. Moda and other main fabric productors have free patterns on their web sites. Some are always for the beginner quilters for quick quilts. I do agree with the others on their ideas, and tutorials are available on QB section of tutorials.

institches33 06-15-2018 11:02 AM

What a lovely thought! A quilt would be a wonderful gift.
A consideration would be the extra weight for the return trip. Airline weight limits can add to extra costs.

meyert 06-15-2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by institches33 (Post 8076867)
What a lovely thought! A quilt would be a wonderful gift.
A consideration would be the extra weight for the return trip. Airline weight limits can add to extra costs.

my sister in law has already volunteered to ship it via Fed Ex they would rather do that than pack it

thanks for all of your thoughts and suggestions. I hope to get started this weekend (at least a little bit of a start :D )

wildyard 06-15-2018 02:56 PM

I think your fabrics would make a great rail fence. If you cut the strips a little larger, it will go faster and you would need fewer blocks.

Irishrose2 06-15-2018 03:11 PM

A rail fence with diamonds was posted in the Pictures section today. You have just enough colors for it.

PKGranny 06-16-2018 09:13 AM

I don't believe I've seen the DP9 with star in center. Pattern? Thanks

Rose_P 06-16-2018 06:30 PM

Walkabout by Ann Lauer of Grizzly Gulch Gallery is an easy quilt that looks harder than it is. I have done a Carpenter's Wheel, and it's a good easy pattern, but Walk About is easier. It can be done with 3 main fabrics that contrast with each other. If I was going to attempt either of them with an new quilter, I'd have her cut the squares for the half square triangles a little larger than needed and she could sew around them and learn to cut the diagonals, and then learn how to square them up.

Do you speak their language? If not, you may find your young visitor eager to practice her English on you. Many Europeans are required to learn it in school. The neat thing about quilting is that learning it is mostly a visual process, and you can both teach and learn a lot with no words.