Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't get my motivation back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-get-my-motivation-back-t222327.html)

paoberle 05-27-2013 04:43 AM

Can't get my motivation back

I have two table runners draped over my dining room chairs, ready to quilt. I have two quilt tops in progress. One is all over my sewing room. The other is on my dining room table. Every morning I tell myself that I am going to work on something, but nothing happens. I find something else to do. I cannot get motivated. I know that once I get started I will do nothing else for weeks. It's just the getting started that's hard.

Stitchnripper 05-27-2013 04:57 AM

Yes, I have been there myself recently. there have been several threads started with many similar responses, so it seems like this is not such a rare situation. Everyone finds their own ways of dealing with it. I just let it all be where I left it. My "mojo" is starting to come back slowly. But I'm not rushing it. Good luck!!

gabeway 05-27-2013 04:59 AM

I think we all go through slumps. The thing is to enjoy a break and do other things you love and then one morning wake up and say "Today's the day! " and get back into quilting.

GammaLou 05-27-2013 05:13 AM

I usually get discouraged when life intrudes on my quilting or when something I'm working on doesn't look like I want it to. If I plow ahead, I find that it all works out in the end. You will want to get back to it soon!!

sahm4605 05-27-2013 05:26 AM

I am in the same boat sort of. only i can't sit at the sewing machine for very long yet still due to a car accident last august. it is really hard to not be sewing and i miss it but have read probably a good 75 books since then. I say that if i can sit for at least 30 min once a week at the sewing machine than that is okay for now. try it like that.

tjk829 05-27-2013 07:32 AM

I believe that everyone goes through the slumps.... what works for me is to put it away, clean up my machines, change the needles, put a new blade on the cutters, and walk away. I don't see UFO's and I don't feel guilty, I have other interests that deserve time, too and when the mood strikes I go back to my sewing refuge and everything is clean, sharp and ready to go. Don't worry about it something you love to do always come back to you....

Tartan 05-27-2013 07:46 AM

I like to cean my machine and straighten my sewing room when I don't feel like sewing. I also give the rest of the house a good go over since I tend to let it slide when I am deep into a sewing project. I HATE housework!! so the sewing room and my waiting projects start to look better and better.:D

mighty 05-27-2013 07:53 AM

Tartan is so right, cleaning is a great way to long to quilt again. Cleaning my sewing room really gets me going!!! Watching youtubes on quilting also gets me going when I am in a slump.

running1 05-27-2013 08:47 AM

My first thought was to just put it all away for a while! it seems that is a common thought! Hang in there... you'll get back to it and it will be very refreshing!! Enjoy the rest...

Maggie_Sue 05-27-2013 09:02 AM

Yes, cleaning up my sewing room also works for me. Then once it is nice and tidy, soon I start thinking about other projects. I just finished with a quilt for my DGD graduation, so i am going to start cleaning my sewing room today.