Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can't get my motivation back

Can't get my motivation back

I have two table runners draped over my dining room chairs, ready to quilt. I have two quilt tops in progress. One is all over my sewing room. The other is on my dining room table. Every morning I tell myself that I am going to work on something, but nothing happens. I find something else to do. I cannot get motivated. I know that once I get started I will do nothing else for weeks. It's just the getting started that's hard.

Yes, I have been there myself recently. there have been several threads started with many similar responses, so it seems like this is not such a rare situation. Everyone finds their own ways of dealing with it. I just let it all be where I left it. My "mojo" is starting to come back slowly. But I'm not rushing it. Good luck!!
    Alyce

I think we all go through slumps. The thing is to enjoy a break and do other things you love and then one morning wake up and say "Today's the day! " and get back into quilting.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I usually get discouraged when life intrudes on my quilting or when something I'm working on doesn't look like I want it to. If I plow ahead, I find that it all works out in the end. You will want to get back to it soon!!

I am in the same boat sort of. only i can't sit at the sewing machine for very long yet still due to a car accident last august. it is really hard to not be sewing and i miss it but have read probably a good 75 books since then. I say that if i can sit for at least 30 min once a week at the sewing machine than that is okay for now. try it like that.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I believe that everyone goes through the slumps.... what works for me is to put it away, clean up my machines, change the needles, put a new blade on the cutters, and walk away. I don't see UFO's and I don't feel guilty, I have other interests that deserve time, too and when the mood strikes I go back to my sewing refuge and everything is clean, sharp and ready to go. Don't worry about it something you love to do always come back to you....

Power Poster
    I like to cean my machine and straighten my sewing room when I don't feel like sewing. I also give the rest of the house a good go over since I tend to let it slide when I am deep into a sewing project. I HATE housework!! so the sewing room and my waiting projects start to look better and better.

Tartan is so right, cleaning is a great way to long to quilt again. Cleaning my sewing room really gets me going!!! Watching youtubes on quilting also gets me going when I am in a slump.

Blog Entries
    My first thought was to just put it all away for a while! it seems that is a common thought! Hang in there... you'll get back to it and it will be very refreshing!! Enjoy the rest...
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Yes, cleaning up my sewing room also works for me. Then once it is nice and tidy, soon I start thinking about other projects. I just finished with a quilt for my DGD graduation, so i am going to start cleaning my sewing room today.

yes, I am just getting out of that funk. I'm making myself sew today. I've only made one small quilt top in the last two months. I have about a month to get a quilt done and I've just started ironing and cutting the fabrics today.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I agree, we all go through this at sometime. Maybe read a lot of quiting magazine, or keep looking up quilting web sites for inspiration
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    I can relate! Had all kinds of projects going...mostly scrappy quilts and hot pads....got side tracked! Had to shop for supplies and flowers to make my wreaths for Memorial Day. Got them done, finally. Now can't get my 'momentum' back!

That's so good to hear that cleaning the house get you motivated to get back to the sewing machine. I've been in a sewing slump but cleaned real good today. Hopefully the machine will be humming away tomorrow.

I was having this same issue and then...our son who is at college and was suppose to be attending summer school called and said he is coming home. The issue with this is that I was in the middle of making him a quilt for Christmas so I was using his queen size bed in his bedroom to lay it out on it and of course there were little strings everywhere!
    So, with this in mind I quickly thought I best stop delaying and get it done.

Fast forward a week...I have finished the quilt and it is even in the box and wrapped in Christmas paper and he called and says "changed my mind". lol

At least I am done with that project. And I am over my slump. Working on the next one now (quilt, not slump). And just finished a baby quilt for one of my daughters friends.

Blog Entries
    I am in a total slump...having frozen shoulder issue but it is feeling better. I have been in and out of my sewing room..I have tons of fabric but can't get into figuring out what to do and everything just doesn't seem right. I have also been cutting up tons of shapes. Thought that would help...NOT...My son go to the flea market every Sunday in the mornings so I handed home a bunch of cut up charm pieces...if he sells them I will cut him up more. I think the scraps are getting overwhelming...I need to clean the sewing room. Maybe that will help. I did sew a nice long pillow for my sewing room. At least I got something done. I even tried to do a postage stamp runner...nothing looked right...not even a scrappy runner...aurgh...hope this passes..I have way to much fabric to stop now.

Blog Entries
    At present I just don't want to use my machine so I have been hand applique and piecing small units . This is not me but it has done a great deal to improve movement in my hands and wrist.
    Finished is better than a UFO