Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't understand but than its prolly just me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-understand-but-than-its-prolly-just-me-t108415.html)

cassie69emt 03-17-2011 12:03 PM

I can't do like everyone else here and just make a quilt to make it . I have to have a reason or purpose to make one. Am I the only one like this ?

Melrose R 03-17-2011 12:11 PM

It's always nice to have a purpose but then again, it's nice to do something you enjoy for no reason, too.

I'm just learning so my reason for wanting to make a quilt is for knowledge. It's purpose will be to keep me warm while I admire the fact that "I did it"....lol

thequilterslink 03-17-2011 12:12 PM

I love to make quilts, some purpose for it always comes up. If i find a technique or pattern i want to try, i can always make a small quilt and donate to Linus or someplace. Our guild makes quilts and gives to persons in our area that have house fires,plus i have a big family... someone always says ... OH i love that.

emerald46 03-17-2011 12:13 PM

It's the learning process for me as well. Plus most of mine are now for charity and I try to complete at least 2 a month.

Gramie bj 03-17-2011 12:16 PM

My reason for quilting is simple I like it! I try to keep on hand one of each for boy and girl, baby quilt, toddler quilt.You never know when some one will invite you to a shower or one of my kids will want to gift a child one of my quilts at the last min.

abdconsultant 03-17-2011 12:18 PM

there is someone somewhere that wants it, just make it.

justflyingin 03-17-2011 12:23 PM

So maybe you are more of a "needs based" quilter, while a lot of us just love to sew and create and would do it if they all just collected in our attics.

We do it because we love the process as well as the end result.

linz83 03-17-2011 12:26 PM

If my hearts not in a project I dont think I would have the drive to finish it.
I love choosing the next person to make one for and searching for the perfect pattern and colors.
maybe when im old and have a stash to draw from I might create just to create, but for now - i love choosing my next recipent first before i start my project.

dogsgod 03-17-2011 12:34 PM

The purpose is to create the magic of piecing together fabrics to make a big beautiful top that can be turned into a warm snuggly cover! They are scattered all over my house and anyone who has spent much time here (i.e. my kids, their friends, my friends) have become addicted to sitting/laying down with one wrapped around them!

LoriEl 03-17-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by linz83
If my hearts not in a project I dont think I would have the drive to finish it.
I love choosing the next person to make one for and searching for the perfect pattern and colors.
maybe when im old and have a stash to draw from I might create just to create, but for now - i love choosing my next recipent first before i start my project.

I do both, but maybe I have so many UFO's b/c of no "special" purpose. I finish the ones that I make for a special person or occasion. I have fun anyway and someday they'll get quilted!