Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't understand but than its prolly just me

I can't do like everyone else here and just make a quilt to make it . I have to have a reason or purpose to make one. Am I the only one like this ?

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    It's always nice to have a purpose but then again, it's nice to do something you enjoy for no reason, too.

I'm just learning so my reason for wanting to make a quilt is for knowledge. It's purpose will be to keep me warm while I admire the fact that "I did it"....lol

I love to make quilts, some purpose for it always comes up. If i find a technique or pattern i want to try, i can always make a small quilt and donate to Linus or someplace. Our guild makes quilts and gives to persons in our area that have house fires,plus i have a big family... someone always says ... OH i love that.

It's the learning process for me as well. Plus most of mine are now for charity and I try to complete at least 2 a month.

My reason for quilting is simple I like it! I try to keep on hand one of each for boy and girl, baby quilt, toddler quilt.You never know when some one will invite you to a shower or one of my kids will want to gift a child one of my quilts at the last min.

Blog Entries
    there is someone somewhere that wants it, just make it.

So maybe you are more of a "needs based" quilter, while a lot of us just love to sew and create and would do it if they all just collected in our attics.

We do it because we love the process as well as the end result.

If my hearts not in a project I dont think I would have the drive to finish it.
    I love choosing the next person to make one for and searching for the perfect pattern and colors.
    maybe when im old and have a stash to draw from I might create just to create, but for now - i love choosing my next recipent first before i start my project.

The purpose is to create the magic of piecing together fabrics to make a big beautiful top that can be turned into a warm snuggly cover! They are scattered all over my house and anyone who has spent much time here (i.e. my kids, their friends, my friends) have become addicted to sitting/laying down with one wrapped around them!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linz83
    If my hearts not in a project I dont think I would have the drive to finish it.
    I love choosing the next person to make one for and searching for the perfect pattern and colors.
    maybe when im old and have a stash to draw from I might create just to create, but for now - i love choosing my next recipent first before i start my project.
    I do both, but maybe I have so many UFO's b/c of no "special" purpose. I finish the ones that I make for a special person or occasion. I have fun anyway and someday they'll get quilted!

Blog Entries
    I usually make a quilt for a purpose, rarely just make a quilt just to make it.

When I first began quilting, I took classes to learn techniques, in that case,, the quilt was made as a learning tool.

Sometimes my purpose is "oh, I think I'll like this". I quilt mainly for my own pleasure, so that's enough for me. I do give away quilts and make them occasionally for someone, but, it all has to "click" with me before I commit.

Blog Entries
    I make quilts cause it keeps me in A good mood. . If I sit idle to long I start getting depressed. Its medicine for me.I also give lot of them away.what A good feeling that is.

Blog Entries
    I rarely have a purpose to make a quilt. I like to different ones for show and tell for guild meetings and the local fair and quilt shows we have. I seldom give them away but my DDs will take them as soon as I finish one they like. As long as they want to store them in their homes that means I don't have to. LOL

Blog Entries
    I don't need a reason to make one. I do some just because I want to. If you want to quilt, but need a reason, consider making charity quilts.

With the exception of swap blocks, all my quilts have had homes long before they were done.

Sometimes in the process the intended recipient changes though. LOL!

Now not all of my fabric has specific quilts (or garments or costuming)in mind...that can be subject to change without notice!

I rarely have a purpase and make them because it's creative and it give me satisfaction that I created something beautiful...Then I donate or surprise friends and families with a gift of a guilt...

I don't need a reason, generally I just want to see how it turns out.

I 'll think of a purpose during sewing LOL
    Just because I like it is a purpose as well, right?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie69emt
    I can't do like everyone else here and just make a quilt to make it . I have to have a reason or purpose to make one. Am I the only one like this ?
    My reason or purpose is "Just because I want to". I never have a reason other than that for making a quilt. If it finds a home after it is done, fine. If not, my family can sell them in a garage sale after I'm dead.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would make them just because I like to. There is always a birthday, a secret pal,a new baby or some occassion to pull one out already to go.Someday my grandkids can fight over them.LOL!

I have to have a reason too.... I'm not one to make a plain jane item.. always have to modify it to my occasion or design....

Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant
    there is someone somewhere that wants it, just make it.
    :thumbup: I agree!

cjr
    I just love to sew & quilt. I am constantly trying out new techniques or patterns. Now that I have DH an all 9 grands quilts made I quilt just for me. I would like to someday have a closet of quilts to open the door and tell someone to just choose a quilt. I am also starting a hope chest for grands. I also do charity quilts.

Blog Entries
    If I need to make one, I can do it a lot quicker, but I also make them just because. I want to build up a stash of finished quilts so that if there's someone who needs a gift, I have one at the ready. Now if I could just get them finished...I'm pretty sure just a quilt top wouldn't go over too well...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast