Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can't understand but than its prolly just me

No most of my friends are like that. Maybe it is the people on this list. LOL When I am happy I need to quilt, when I am sad I need to quilt, I dream quilting, when I am upset I need to quilt....Compulsive?

Quote Originally Posted by cassie69emt
    I can't do like everyone else here and just make a quilt to make it . I have to have a reason or purpose to make one. Am I the only one like this ?

I want to learn more and more. Thats a good reason. Im sure there is lots of family you could make for, or friends. Or maybe Yourself. Now those are great reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kaykwilts
    These, and many more, are all valid reasons for quilting for ourselves....and I for one, no longer feel guilty if I am not planning to give my current project away.

Maybe I'm just too self-centered???
    Not at all.

I make one because I like the pattern. New things are fun, and this is my hobby. It keeps me sane.

My reason for making most quilts is because I like them or I want to see if I cam do it.

I need a reason for each project. I'm that way with my cross stitch, too.

For me it's about the process, the picking out the fabric, the pattern, the hum of the sewing machine, etc. There is always someone, somewhere that can use a quilt, from family, friends to a charity. I also know that quilting is a universal language and have met so many people going to shows, quilt shops or just hand working on something that "I
    quilt, therefore I am"

Brenda

Blog Entries
    I started out only making quilts I had a purpose for. Then it just turned in to just making them. I have a hard time parting with them. I have a huge list of quilts in my head I need to make. I too will probably have to start selling them on etsy or something to support my addiction.

I enjoy the creative process. Love doing crafty things! I tend to give most of them away, so now am trying to make some for me! :)

Well, my whole purpose in making a quilt is occasionally for a specific reason (i.e. birthday, baby, wedding, etc) but mostly it's because I am a quilter and that is what I do!

I don't need a reason to make a quilt. I think it is fun and it is a great hobby.

lue
    I do both. Having a purpose puts the pressure (needed) to complete a quilt on schedule. Just making it because it's so pretty works for me as well though.

I always like to learn a new technique, so I do a project for this purpose. Then I like to perfect it and get 'good' at it. It never bores me, but I usually move onto another technique or tool after a while. I don't need a purpose as I like to play. Sort of like playing with mud pies when I was a kid.

I always have a reson even if it is just cause I want to. :lol:

I like to make them because I'm inspired by a pattern, or a picture posted on this forum, or sometimes just an idea in my head. It totally relaxes and de-stresses me so that's why I make them, even with no purpose.

Blog Entries
    When I first started quilting I was that way and now I make them because I saw a pattern or fabric I liked. Of course I'm still making them for family and friends and wishing I had more time for quilts for just me.

Ruby the Quilter

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I don't need a reason to make one. I do some just because I want to. If you want to quilt, but need a reason, consider making charity quilts.
    I agree, I do a lot of charity quilts and get a great deal of satisfaction from it. I get scraps from a LQS to use and get to try out patterns I might not otherwise do. Some quilts I do just for myself because I love the fabric or the pattern too.

Blog Entries
    My youngest has made two quilts and they are different. She says she is going to make a different one each time. There will be not two alike. Not pattern either. I have been looking at all the free pattern downloads they have and have been putting them on my computer so she can pick and choose when she comes home the next time.

Blog Entries
    I have been quilting for 22 years and I am finally making some wallhangings and quilts just for me or because I want to learn a new technique. :thumbup:

My creative urges were stifled for 29 years while I worked and raised my kids. Now I can't get enough of learning and creating things.

I started quilting as a hobby....I finish one and can't wait to go onto the next project....it is addicting to me....I love to see the finished item!!

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I don't need a reason to make one. I do some just because I want to. If you want to quilt, but need a reason, consider making charity quilts.
    I agree with this....I get so excited about particular fabrics that that just call to me to make a quilt. Unless it is a requested quilt or ones for my family....I never have a problem just making them for the love/joy of making them. :-D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    I love to make quilts, some purpose for it always comes up. If i find a technique or pattern i want to try, i can always make a small quilt and donate to Linus or someplace. Our guild makes quilts and gives to persons in our area that have house fires,plus i have a big family... someone always says ... OH i love that.
    me too.

My mind sends me quilt patterns in my sleep. I quilt for cancer patients, Charities, a person who may just need to know someone loves you. My family and nieces and nephews, and my 4 grandchildren comes first. We make quilts for nursing homes, Dialysis centers,Head start children. It will also be a wonderful gift from our country to you, ie; foreign ex. students. There are many reasons to make a quilt. Oh yes they make wonderful baby shower gifts, and wedding gifts. I usually have a persone I am makeing the quilt for in mind.

Most of the quilts I make are for charity. But the I'm the one who receives the most because I get to spend time with good friends and I get to try out new colors or methods, and perfect some old ones! Win-win!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast