Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't understand but than its prolly just me

Blog Entries
    I have made a couple that I did not know what to do with and I ended up giving them as baby gifts when I had nothing else. I was lucky that the colors matched the gender. I need to make a couple of boy quilts... LOL Most of mine do have a purpose behind them.

Blog Entries
    You don't need a reason to make a quilt. You may quilt to learn a new technique or template or colors. A need for it will pop up when it is just about done..

I love designing quilts, buying fabric, watching the quilt come to life as you progress through all of the different steps of assembly. Making a quilt specifically for someone just adds to my enjoyment.

I see beautiful fabric and great patterns and I have to try and make one "like that". Besides, I have so many grandchildren and greats that I won't live long enough to make one for every single one of them. And then, there is me. I want several for me, just to make and look at, I guess.

Ok I have to say after so any responses to my topic you have taught me that maybe it is tie to just make a quilt for no reason other than to make it . I see soo many that I love and think boy I wouldn't mind one like that . Maybe I will just start one and if I like it I will keep it if not find some loving person that will appreciate just getting one

I have to agree it's easier when you have a reason so I opened an etsy store to sell them! My DD suggestion. I love to make quilts but they were taking over my house. Selling them gives me the $$$ to make more!

Blog Entries
    Giggle! I really like your question! A reason gives you the motivation to get the quilt done especially if there are parts you don't like to do! (For me, it's the binding.) I do like making a quilt for the sheer joy of it, but I strive to find a reason for making it because it keeps nosy people from telling me that I should be doing "more important things". Do what rocks your boat!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtspools
    I make quilts cause it keeps me in A good mood. . If I sit idle to long I start getting depressed. Its medicine for me.I also give lot of them away.what A good feeling that is.
    My thoughts exactly!!!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    For me, it's not about the quilt, it's about the fabric... I gotta have it, and making a quilt is an excuse!

My main reason is to put it in the gift pile to be ready to give when I find someone who needs it. They don't stay there long.

I love the planning process to get me inspired. My goal is to hopefully have a finished quilt for each of our adult children for Christmas. With my schedule it will take every bit of the time from now till then, but I love it!!!
    Maybe consider charity like for a local church youth group or high school. They are always raising money for trips and such. The sky's the limit.

I love to choose fabric and if I didn't make it into quilts I wouldn't have an excuse to purchase it.

I'm still new to quilting so I don't need a reason to quilt. If I see a quilt that looks relatively easy, I'm on it!

Blog Entries
    No reason I just love to quilt. I see a pattern I like and I make it, just because I can.

Blog Entries
    I like having a project and the planning process (I'm retired so have lots of time on my hands). I've been quilting for 3 1/2 years and am now to the point where I need a reason to make a quilt. Although sometimes a fabric just speaks to me and wants to really be made into a quilt for no apparent reason.

I like to have a person in mind when I start a project. I try to fit the quilt to the person.

Blog Entries
    Now, every quilt I make is for a purpose because I give them all away. Making charity quilts for my quilt guild lets me try many different patterns with all different types of fabric (my own). I try new patterns and techniques with almost every quilt I make, and then the quilts get to go to a new home. In the past, the quilts I've made "just because" are still UFO's! If they don't have a home to go to, they don't seem to get done.

Look...I know we quilters are generous people, sometimes to a fault. We give our time, our creative energy, our effort, our patience, our everything to every quilt we create....regardless of where it ends up.

So I can't help but wonder why is it so wrong to just make a quilt for ourselves??

I have made quilts because I just liked the pattern, I wanted to play with a certain color combination, or I just wanted a new cover for my bed.

These, and many more, are all valid reasons for quilting for ourselves....and I for one, no longer feel guilty if I am not planning to give my current project away.

Maybe I'm just too self-centered???

I'm hooked on quilting, I love it, I am taking baby steps in learning from this group.
    I currently have an idea of a family member that I intend to give the quilt to.

Quilting is my creative outlet. That is my reason. I work very hard all week and on the weekend I relax by quilting. I forget about all the stress of the week and lose myself in my quilting. I really don't care if what I am working on has a purpose. I just love to create.

Blog Entries
    I like crazy quilting a project as a gift for someone...but then I like doing things I get to keep. My goal with my crazy quilting is to try new stitches and learn new tricks with each project.
    It's my therapy!

Quote Originally Posted by cassie69emt
    I can't do like everyone else here and just make a quilt to make it . I have to have a reason or purpose to make one. Am I the only one like this ?
    Do we need a reason to sing, to play golf, to put a jigsaw puzzle together, to go for a walk, to play with the dog or pet the cat? Watching the sun rise and set, looking at the stars twinkle, identifying cloud pictures in the sky, basking in the moonlight--none of that has definable purpose.

Some people make quilts for the joy of the making--and that is reason enough.

Blog Entries
    I am with you. I need a reason. If there isn't a reason the thing will probably sit as an unfinished top for years. Found one last fall, i never completed. Why? because it was too small for me, wouldn't fit on a bed, so didn't bother. Right now Im telling myself I "need" a queen size quilt for my bed. Don't have one, so That is one thing i am working on now.Being on this board helps me to see it is ok to sew for fun, not just for purpose. Been doing the doll quilt swap, and table runner swaps. Don't need to do those, no purpose really other than to just have fun. And knowing someone else is enjoying my work too, is just wonderful.

Amen. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by linz83
    If my hearts not in a project I dont think I would have the drive to finish it.
    I love choosing the next person to make one for and searching for the perfect pattern and colors.
    maybe when im old and have a stash to draw from I might create just to create, but for now - i love choosing my next recipent first before i start my project.

Many of my quilts have a purpose, but I don't think I need one. Just the feel of fabric and the therapy of quilting

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast