Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't understand but than its prolly just me >

Can't understand but than its prolly just me

Can't understand but than its prolly just me

Old 03-18-2011, 06:31 AM

I like to have a person in mind when I start a project. I try to fit the quilt to the person.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 AM

Now, every quilt I make is for a purpose because I give them all away. Making charity quilts for my quilt guild lets me try many different patterns with all different types of fabric (my own). I try new patterns and techniques with almost every quilt I make, and then the quilts get to go to a new home. In the past, the quilts I've made "just because" are still UFO's! If they don't have a home to go to, they don't seem to get done.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Look...I know we quilters are generous people, sometimes to a fault. We give our time, our creative energy, our effort, our patience, our everything to every quilt we create....regardless of where it ends up.

So I can't help but wonder why is it so wrong to just make a quilt for ourselves??

I have made quilts because I just liked the pattern, I wanted to play with a certain color combination, or I just wanted a new cover for my bed.

These, and many more, are all valid reasons for quilting for ourselves....and I for one, no longer feel guilty if I am not planning to give my current project away.

Maybe I'm just too self-centered???
Old 03-18-2011, 06:44 AM

I'm hooked on quilting, I love it, I am taking baby steps in learning from this group.
I currently have an idea of a family member that I intend to give the quilt to.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 AM

Quilting is my creative outlet. That is my reason. I work very hard all week and on the weekend I relax by quilting. I forget about all the stress of the week and lose myself in my quilting. I really don't care if what I am working on has a purpose. I just love to create.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 AM

I like crazy quilting a project as a gift for someone...but then I like doing things I get to keep. My goal with my crazy quilting is to try new stitches and learn new tricks with each project.
It's my therapy!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by cassie69emt
I can't do like everyone else here and just make a quilt to make it . I have to have a reason or purpose to make one. Am I the only one like this ?
Do we need a reason to sing, to play golf, to put a jigsaw puzzle together, to go for a walk, to play with the dog or pet the cat? Watching the sun rise and set, looking at the stars twinkle, identifying cloud pictures in the sky, basking in the moonlight--none of that has definable purpose.

Some people make quilts for the joy of the making--and that is reason enough.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM

I am with you. I need a reason. If there isn't a reason the thing will probably sit as an unfinished top for years. Found one last fall, i never completed. Why? because it was too small for me, wouldn't fit on a bed, so didn't bother. Right now Im telling myself I "need" a queen size quilt for my bed. Don't have one, so That is one thing i am working on now.Being on this board helps me to see it is ok to sew for fun, not just for purpose. Been doing the doll quilt swap, and table runner swaps. Don't need to do those, no purpose really other than to just have fun. And knowing someone else is enjoying my work too, is just wonderful.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Amen. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Originally Posted by linz83
If my hearts not in a project I dont think I would have the drive to finish it.
I love choosing the next person to make one for and searching for the perfect pattern and colors.
maybe when im old and have a stash to draw from I might create just to create, but for now - i love choosing my next recipent first before i start my project.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Many of my quilts have a purpose, but I don't think I need one. Just the feel of fabric and the therapy of quilting