Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cathedral Window - oh my! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cathedral-window-oh-my-t264233.html)

NanaCindyLou 04-20-2015 03:01 AM

Cathedral Window - oh my!

I've had Cathedral Window on my "to try" list for a long time. Seemed like a good pattern to make a small ring bearer's pillow (with scraps from the signature quilt). Well... I'm going to end up with a pretty (if you don't look too close) pin cushion and new respect and awe for those who complete a quilt in this pattern! I learned a lot and had (mostly) fun yesterday. Going to take a deep breath and start the pillow again.

Geri B 04-20-2015 03:15 AM

Yes, it it is a tedious process...but there are some "shortcuts". When I wanted to do one I checked out all tutes to see what seemed to work best....I like the tute from Eddie here on board.......but even with all machine sewing it is not a quickie. My friend did a bed size...took her two yrs...it was an after work destressor, road trip project(she did the turn back by hand)......I am doing mine (on hiatus now ) all machine....I only have what would be a Bedrunner now....will pick up on it in fall again....maybe! I'm sure the ring pillow will be gorgeous!

Jingle 04-20-2015 03:32 AM

I have wanted to make one for about 40 or so years and still haven't. Maybe I will decide to give it a go, 'someday'.

toverly 04-20-2015 04:41 AM

You sound exactly like me! I have had one on my quilt bucket list along with a Grandmother's Flower Garden. I have a bus trip coming up and can't decide between one of these or an embroidered quilt. A good friend took her Cathedral squares and put it in the back of a vest. Good for you for giving it a try.

ManiacQuilter2 04-20-2015 04:46 AM

Definitely a tedious pattern to work with. Just be glad you quilt pillow was so small compared to the size of a larger quilt. Remember to check that pattern off you Bucket list.

alleyoop1 04-20-2015 04:56 AM

I love cathedral window quilting. Haven't done it in years. Made a throw pillow top and have another piece in the works if I ever get back to it.

Geri B 04-20-2015 05:11 AM

.....it was my challenge to myself last year.....I try to give myself one each year..sometimes it's just one or two or ends up being a big thing.......that way I really know and appreciate what everyone does.......

pocoellie 04-20-2015 07:34 PM

I love the Cathedral window block but would NEVER attempt the "traditional" method of making one, but have done several "10 minute" blocks, which can pass for a Cathedral window. I simply refuse to spend that much time, making it the "traditional" way.

Beachbaby12 04-22-2015 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCindyLou (Post 7170566)
I've had Cathedral Window on my "to try" list for a long time. Seemed like a good pattern to make a small ring bearer's pillow (with scraps from the signature quilt). Well... I'm going to end up with a pretty (if you don't look too close) pin cushion and new respect and awe for those who complete a quilt in this pattern! I learned a lot and had (mostly) fun yesterday. Going to take a deep breath and start the pillow again.

You can do it! You can make a small ring bearer's pillow! I have done cathedral window quilting by hand and it all works out well. Just take your time, one step at a time.

Beachbaby12 04-22-2015 05:14 AM

Feel free to try cathedral window pattern by hand - it is very relaxing and a stress buster - believe it or not. I am self taught with the grandmother's flower garden. A coworker showed me a little but basically pieced it together myself again by hand - have been doing this since 2009 with 1930s reproduction fabric - just enjoy it, it's portable and fun to see all the colors coming together. Please be patient with yourself and enjoy - you'll do just fine.