Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Causes of thread shredding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/causes-thread-shredding-t307483.html)

quiltingshorttimer 10-17-2019 03:49 PM

since it's a king size quilt and you are using a sit-down LA, could it be that the quilt is so large on your table that it hanging off and putting tension on the quilt under the needle and causing the shredding?
Especially since you've managed to get 2/3 of it done.

mermaid 10-17-2019 03:51 PM

here's another suggestion for if you don't have any "sewer's aid"...I use mineral oil on my thread when it starts breaking on embroidery machine.

Onebyone 10-17-2019 03:53 PM

Probably wrong size needle for the thread weight. I had a class with David Taylor and needle size is one of the most important factors when machine quilting. The fabric is actually shredding the thread due to the size needle hole made. He demoed this using very oversize props so we could understand.

AprilM 10-17-2019 04:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a silly question at all - i had to ask too! This particular thread is kinda shiny and i have found that it unwinds from the spool faster than say a cotton thread (if that makes sense). I have found that the net keeps the unwinding a little more controlled without adding drag. For me no more shredding and i have zero tension issues with the net as opposed to without it. Here is what the net looks like. Hopefully my photos post right side up!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618681[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]618682[/ATTACH]

Jingle 10-17-2019 04:26 PM

I have a regular machine that I quilt on. I use a size 16 needle only for quilting. Thread usually only shreds if I move the quilt too much.

toogie 10-17-2019 09:52 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had done everything, except change the thread, as I had no more. I finished my quilting. I don't know what happened. I turned the machine off, to eat supper/dinner and when I turned it back on, it started quilting fine. I was able to zoom on through however, it is now after midnight and I need to go to bed.

Happy Birthday to us Ginaky!

toogie 10-17-2019 09:53 PM

How do you apply this to your cone of thread?

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 8314664)
here's another suggestion for if you don't have any "sewer's aid"...I use mineral oil on my thread when it starts breaking on embroidery machine.

toogie 10-17-2019 09:57 PM

I didn't mention when I said I changed needle, that I tried a size up and 2 different needles the same size that I had quilted 2/3 of it. All I can figure is that I got in a bad spot of thread on the cone, as someone here suggested.Thank you for trying to help me, tho.

Originally Posted by hcarpanini (Post 8314624)
I know you changed your needle, but now go up a size. If you are using a 16, go to an 18.. Let us know if this works.

toogie 10-17-2019 10:06 PM

You should see how I quilt. Besides the table the machine is in, I butt up a 6 foot folding table to side of it. The machine table and the folding table are then butt up to my 9 foot long dining table. None of the quilt hangs off and I have two clamps (I have more but can't find them:shock:) also on some of it when I roll up to start in center. I guess it will be an 'Unsolved Mystery' as to why it would stitch 2/3, shred for hours, then start stitching fine again the whole side, from top to bottom.

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8314663)
since it's a king size quilt and you are using a sit-down LA, could it be that the quilt is so large on your table that it hanging off and putting tension on the quilt under the needle and causing the shredding?
Especially since you've managed to get 2/3 of it done.

mermaid 10-18-2019 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by toogie (Post 8314775)
How do you apply this to your cone of thread?

Just as you would the 'sewers aid'...just 3 or 34 lines from top to bottom of thread cone. I have mine in those small bottles that you squeeze to flow from opening in top..like an eye drops bottle.