Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Causes of thread shredding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/causes-thread-shredding-t307483.html)

toogie 10-17-2019 08:21 AM

Causes of thread shredding

Hi everyone, I am trying to quilt on my sit down LA and I'm having thread shedding. About to give up and doing a huge King. I've stitched about 2/3 of it and now having this problem. I changed my needle, even re-adjusted tension. I am stumped. ! I had so wanted to finish it today and clean up, because tomorrow I will be one year older. I knew this quilt was aging me-lol

granky 10-17-2019 10:24 AM

Hmmmm....you've done the things that I would have suggested...changed the needle and the tension...another thing I've found is that some threads don't like high speeds. Also, you might try changing your needle again...they do sometimes have flaws...like a rough spot in the eye that we can't detect...but the thread can. I have also been known to unwind a bunch of thread from the current spool...in case I had run into a 'bad' run of thread.....good luck!

toogie 10-17-2019 12:23 PM

Thank you Granky for responding. I did everything you suggested except unwinding thread. It is a hope that I have enough thread to wind some more bobbins and still have enough to finish my quilt. I do a pretty close meander and with a King it's taking a lot of thread. If I do run out that will be another problem......

hray 10-17-2019 01:41 PM

Not a long-arm story, but recently I was doing free-standing lace embroidery and thought my machine needed service, or even replacing. Thread was shredding every couple hundred stitches, and I had a dozen leaves to make at about 12000 stitches each! I did all the usual stuff—changing needle, adjusting tension, running some monofilament through to see if anything was caught in the system—and still had shredding.

I then tried putting a thin line of Sewer’s Aid—the silicon stuff in the little plastic bottle—along the thread on the spool. Problem solved! Worth a try, maybe.

quiltsRfun 10-17-2019 02:13 PM

Sewer’s Aid also works for me.

Tartan 10-17-2019 02:19 PM

​You might be pulling the needle off center when you quilt and it can clip the side of the throat plate.

hcarpanini 10-17-2019 02:29 PM

I know you changed your needle, but now go up a size. If you are using a 16, go to an 18.. Let us know if this works.

AprilM 10-17-2019 02:56 PM

Well, first off Happy Birthday! I also have a sitdown longarm - i see that you have checked most of the usual list of “offending” culprits! It can be frustrating i know. Rethreading the machine and bobbin would be first and checking for lint in the bobbin area while there. You’ve checked the needle and maybe gone to one with a larger “hole”? I remember using some shinier thread for the first time (trilobal polyester) and got shredding. It was wound on the spool in the same manner as cones are so i used vertically instead of putting it on the horizontal spool holder. After getting a little frustrated and taking a break i remembered i had a thread net - that did the trick! I keep the nets where i always know where they are now

Ginaky 10-17-2019 03:22 PM

I hope you figured it out! And I will be a year older tomorrow too! Happy Birthday to both of us!

Stitchnripper 10-17-2019 03:28 PM

Silly question - how does one use a thread net?

I had shredding with my Brother P1500 and it turned out to be the hook. I traded it in on a new same machine and I don't have any of those issues anymore. But, suggested to me were as above, changing needle, going up a size, don't pull the quilt, and one other one is put the spool far away from the machine through a thread stand. On the old machine all that helped, but, didn't solve the problem. Good luck, let us know what worked.