Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chair-sit-when-sewing-quilting-t196131.html)

#1piecemaker 07-30-2012 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5403590)
I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
Jan in VA

Mine is green.

this is like my DH's. I'm getting me one too. It is great!

pollyjvan9 07-30-2012 05:14 AM

I use a secretary's chair like the one Jan has. I don't like a chair with arms, I find it restrictive. Like the swivel and adjustable height on my chair.

Rose Marie 07-30-2012 05:35 AM

I have a cheap armless office chair that I have lifted to its highest level in order to sew at my sewing table.
Being short is a big disadvantage as furniture is made for taller people.
I also have to stand on a stool to use my cutting table.
Im 5 foot tall.

burchquilts 07-30-2012 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5403590)
I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
Jan in VA

Mine is green.

Looks like mine. Mine is just some cheapie DH bought to use but I commandeered it for my sewing room... LOL! I'm up & down, in & out of my chair so much I don't think it matters much for me. I mostly just want one that isn't too tippy or rolls too easily.

burchquilts 07-30-2012 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl (Post 5404114)
I put my table up on risers so it would be at a comfortable height for cutting and I use an adjustable drafting chair. It works well for me if I put the foot controller up on a wooden box because I am short. :)

I have mine on risers, too, & I much prefer it like that. I personally like mine a tad taller than probably most people do. I don't know why... maybe because I'm only 5' & am just used to everything being tall.

burchquilts 07-30-2012 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 5405098)
I have a cheap armless office chair that I have lifted to its highest level in order to sew at my sewing table.
Being short is a big disadvantage as furniture is made for taller people.
I also have to stand on a stool to use my cutting table.
Im 5 foot tall.

Hi, twin! My Mother was "petite" also & she used to always say we were standing in a hole... LOL!

Wunder-Mar 07-30-2012 08:12 AM

I also use an office chair but it hugs my lower back and adjusts where and how I need it to. That said, I found that my stiffness came from two things: not moving enough AND hunching my shoulders as I sewed. I bought a Gypsy Sit-Upon (a round purple thing that looks like a flattened playground ball) and that has been immensely helpful. My lower back muscles were talking to me for two or three days, but that was because all the micromovements of my hip and entire back muscles were developing. It's important to move during the process of quilting - getting up to iron, cut etc. It eliminates your hips and lower back locking up because of relative immobility.

IAmCatOwned 07-30-2012 02:42 PM

Personally, I find a solid, non-rolling, straight back chair with lots of padding to be the best for sewing. Unfortunately, that chair is too high for my current table, so I'm stuck with a plush computer chair. Bought it at Sam's club.

nycquilter 07-30-2012 04:14 PM

Like Jan, I have an armless office chair. I added a Gypsy sit-upon to help my posture and it worked miracles--no pain anymore no matter how long I sit at my machine. In my other studio, I use a small stool also with a Gypsy sit-upon. Again, no matter how long I sew, I am comfortable.

4dogs 07-30-2012 09:46 PM

Thank you everybody, for giving me such good answers and ideas.........I have GOT to get something better, as my back is telling me the setup I have is NOT good.........and I do tend to sit for too long at a stretch....