Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

Blog Entries

Lightbulb CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

I would like to ask a question............what is the best kind of a chair to use, for sitting at the machine? I have tried several and not happy with any of them yet. Firs, I had a computer type desk chair (with arms)...not comfortalbe for sewing; then I tried an office waiting room type chair (4 legs, no rocking) and that was kinda ok, but the seat "sags" after a while..........now I have an old, rolling, with arms, chair (goodwill find) and that isnt very comfortable either. So what works best? I have thought of getting a thick piece of foam and making a "pillow seat" to put in it.......what do you use?
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Koala, seat is adjustable....up and down. Back is adjustable, up, down and reclines some. Made for sewers.

Power Poster
    I like the armless secretarial type chair that rolls and the back and seat are adjustable. Make sure you get one with 5 legs/casters instead of only 4. Much less tippy.

I purchased an armed office chair from either Staples or Office Depot. I love it because it adjusts up and down, rolls and tilts backwards if I want to lean. I think I paid less than $100 for it. I don't know how I ever sewed without it. It is one of the worst things about going on a retreat. I can't take my chair as it won't fit in my car. Some of the other girls who had vans etc. were able to bring their chairs.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
    Jan in VA

Mine is green.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    I have a rolling adjustable office chair. I have added one of the mesh back rests from the $ store. It keeps my back from sweating and helps keep my lower back more comfortable.

Is it possible that it's not the chair, but the position of the sewing machine that is causing you discomfort? I find it very difficult to sew without having my machine recessed into the table, with a big completely flat surface all around it. If your machine is too high, or too low, that could be the real issue, rather than the chair.

ITA with Dunster ... consider the ergonomics of your setup.

Everything should be at 90 angles ... back to legs at the hips, legs at the knees, elbows 90 with arms on the sewing surface without shrugging/raising shoulders.

I use a rolling adjustable rolling draftsman's chair including adjustable arms ... it's lowest starts at the highest of a typical office chair.
    When I am straight sewing, I work at one height ... and I raise it up a tad when I am FMQ or SITD quilting.

And when I got to sewing classes, most the ergnomics are horrible and I could not last a day ... so I take along chair pads to get my chair to a better height, or sit with two chairs stacked.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have an ancient ergonomic chair without back or sides and is on a rocker bottom. Very comfortable. I have also seen the ergonomic chair that you sit on a huge ball. My friend has the big ball ergonomic chair that she just loves.

Through posts on the board I found a YouTube video from Marguerita McManus about creating an ergonomically correct sewing table. I made mine about 3 months ago and it works great. Not pretty to look at but I don't have back and neck problems either. I also have a secretarial chair without arms and the adjustable seat and back. Try a Google search "ergonomic sewing table height".
    Good luck.
    kathyd

I use a wooden stool to sew on.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I put my table up on risers so it would be at a comfortable height for cutting and I use an adjustable drafting chair. It works well for me if I put the foot controller up on a wooden box because I am short.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Blog Entries
    I took the back off an office chair and have a great stool that adjusts up and down. I like it much better then a chair with a back.
    Got fabric?

It took me a while but finally settled on a chair like Jan in VA uses. The armed chairs just got in the way. My husband suggested I try his "throne" that he uses when he plays the drums, but I needed the back support.

Blog Entries
    I bought a "Bungy" cord chair and it supports your legs and back, it looks more like an office chair with no arms. Bought mine at the container stores but have seen them in several stores now. Sells for about $100.
    Patski
    always learning

Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
    I would like to ask a question............what is the best kind of a chair to use, for sitting at the machine? I have tried several and not happy with any of them yet. Firs, I had a computer type desk chair (with arms)...not comfortalbe for sewing; then I tried an office waiting room type chair (4 legs, no rocking) and that was kinda ok, but the seat "sags" after a while..........now I have an old, rolling, with arms, chair (goodwill find) and that isnt very comfortable either. So what works best? I have thought of getting a thick piece of foam and making a "pillow seat" to put in it.......what do you use?
    Go to the office store and play Goldilocks with the chairs. Keep in mind that for at least 75% of the chairs when you put them together you can leave off one or both armrests.

I had bought a chair similar to the one Jan in VA shows ... only it came with arms that I promptly took off.

Since then I graduated to a Swopper that I bought from an specialized office supply store after trying it for a long weekend. I love it. It helps me keep my posture correct and is adjustable. The only downside is it doesn't have rollers on it, though they could be put on it now [I bought mine years ago.] I note that Sit4less.com has them now.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Can't help you on this sinced I hand piece/quilt. Use a straight backed dinnete chair which works great!

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy View Post
    I purchased an armed office chair from either Staples or Office Depot. I love it because it adjusts up and down, rolls and tilts backwards if I want to lean. I think I paid less than $100 for it. I don't know how I ever sewed without it. It is one of the worst things about going on a retreat. I can't take my chair as it won't fit in my car. Some of the other girls who had vans etc. were able to bring their chairs.
    My chair sounds like the same kind. I love it.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
    Jan in VA

Mine is green.
    That's what I have too; mine is black. You can adjust the seat height, it's on rollers, and has no arms. I think I got it at a job lot sort of store years ago.
    I just bought a rolling chair with arms at Staples for under $100 (I had a coupon) which I have at my cutting table. I sit when I cut and sometimes just sit watching TV (baseball, tennis and the Olympics) and like having the armrests.

Blog Entries
    Jan in VA

Mine is green.
    this is like my DH's. I'm getting me one too. It is great!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    I use a secretary's chair like the one Jan has. I don't like a chair with arms, I find it restrictive. Like the swivel and adjustable height on my chair.

I have a cheap armless office chair that I have lifted to its highest level in order to sew at my sewing table.
    Being short is a big disadvantage as furniture is made for taller people.
    I also have to stand on a stool to use my cutting table.
    Im 5 foot tall.

Jan in VA

Mine is green.
    Looks like mine. Mine is just some cheapie DH bought to use but I commandeered it for my sewing room... LOL! I'm up & down, in & out of my chair so much I don't think it matters much for me. I mostly just want one that isn't too tippy or rolls too easily.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
    I put my table up on risers so it would be at a comfortable height for cutting and I use an adjustable drafting chair. It works well for me if I put the foot controller up on a wooden box because I am short.
    I have mine on risers, too, & I much prefer it like that. I personally like mine a tad taller than probably most people do. I don't know why... maybe because I'm only 5' & am just used to everything being tall.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast