Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting >

CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

Old 07-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I use a wooden stool to sew on.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:39 PM

I put my table up on risers so it would be at a comfortable height for cutting and I use an adjustable drafting chair. It works well for me if I put the foot controller up on a wooden box because I am short.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

I took the back off an office chair and have a great stool that adjusts up and down. I like it much better then a chair with a back.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:28 PM

It took me a while but finally settled on a chair like Jan in VA uses. The armed chairs just got in the way. My husband suggested I try his "throne" that he uses when he plays the drums, but I needed the back support.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:32 PM

I bought a "Bungy" cord chair and it supports your legs and back, it looks more like an office chair with no arms. Bought mine at the container stores but have seen them in several stores now. Sells for about $100.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
I would like to ask a question............what is the best kind of a chair to use, for sitting at the machine? I have tried several and not happy with any of them yet. Firs, I had a computer type desk chair (with arms)...not comfortalbe for sewing; then I tried an office waiting room type chair (4 legs, no rocking) and that was kinda ok, but the seat "sags" after a while..........now I have an old, rolling, with arms, chair (goodwill find) and that isnt very comfortable either. So what works best? I have thought of getting a thick piece of foam and making a "pillow seat" to put in it.......what do you use?
Go to the office store and play Goldilocks with the chairs. Keep in mind that for at least 75% of the chairs when you put them together you can leave off one or both armrests.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 PM

I had bought a chair similar to the one Jan in VA shows ... only it came with arms that I promptly took off.

Since then I graduated to a Swopper that I bought from an specialized office supply store after trying it for a long weekend. I love it. It helps me keep my posture correct and is adjustable. The only downside is it doesn't have rollers on it, though they could be put on it now [I bought mine years ago.] I note that Sit4less.com has them now.

ali
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 AM

Can't help you on this sinced I hand piece/quilt. Use a straight backed dinnete chair which works great!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy View Post
I purchased an armed office chair from either Staples or Office Depot. I love it because it adjusts up and down, rolls and tilts backwards if I want to lean. I think I paid less than $100 for it. I don't know how I ever sewed without it. It is one of the worst things about going on a retreat. I can't take my chair as it won't fit in my car. Some of the other girls who had vans etc. were able to bring their chairs.
My chair sounds like the same kind. I love it.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
Jan in VA

Mine is green.
That's what I have too; mine is black. You can adjust the seat height, it's on rollers, and has no arms. I think I got it at a job lot sort of store years ago.
I just bought a rolling chair with arms at Staples for under $100 (I had a coupon) which I have at my cutting table. I sit when I cut and sometimes just sit watching TV (baseball, tennis and the Olympics) and like having the armrests.