Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting >

CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 AM

I just have a little office chair, on wheels, no arms, and adjustable height, and my sewing machine is in a cabinet. Works great for me.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 AM

I have a chair with no arms, and has rollers, and a cusioned seat. I guess it is considered a computer chair.
I bought it at Sears years ago when they had a 50% off sale. I personally think a sewing chair must have rollers,
you get up and down going from machine to ironing board. I don't think a chair with arms would work, it can't really get you close enough to your machine, and would be in the way all the time. There are reasonabl priced chairs available, even at a resale shop, its not necessary to spend a lot for a sewing chair.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 AM

Here's a direct link to the video:
http://youtu.be/hbmQ2riM7Yo

Originally Posted by kathyd View Post
Through posts on the board I found a YouTube video from Marguerita McManus about creating an ergonomically correct sewing table. I made mine about 3 months ago and it works great. Not pretty to look at but I don't have back and neck problems either. I also have a secretarial chair without arms and the adjustable seat and back. Try a Google search "ergonomic sewing table height".
Good luck.
kathyd
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 AM

I use stools. I have my mother's old one (that has lots of storage inside) at my main sewing machine. I have a stool like the doctor has in his office for my FMQ. I do have a computer chair at my serger, but seldom use it. I just love my little rolling stool. I can scoot right along on it while I FMQ
Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 AM

I just want to thank everyone-- including the original poster-- for this topic. I've been getting horrendous back-aches from sewing and this topic is a great reminder that I need to look at the whole set up. It's inspired me to really examine everything about my sewing area and follow McManus's suggestions. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
Jan in VA

Mine is green.
Mine is very much like yours. No arms, quite heavy and seat and back adjusts...
Old 07-31-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
Jan in VA

Mine is green.
I have one in brown . And the wide seat is very necessary. hehehe
Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 AM

I got a "bungee chair" from Container store and it is by far the most comfortable one I have had. Looks kind of strange and when we first saw them I was laughing but then sat in it and was very surprised. Everyone that comes over has to sit in it and 95% have loved it. I also work from home on the computer all day and use it for that, so needless to say I am in it a lot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]352694[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails chair.jpg  
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 AM

I have had a sacrum problem and for years sat on one of those "exercise balls", as suggested by my orthopedic surgeon. Every body's problem is different and I advise you to borrow different types of chairs and try them out before going out and buying one. Also, the 90 degree approach didn't work for me because my upper back has issues and will begin to hurt like crazy.... now I use a desk chair set low that has give when I sit and looks like the one in the picture on page 1 here) so I don't have to bend so much (that's just me, of course). My table is higher than usual. You need to try different things until you find what seems to offer comfort, and it may be two different approaches so you can switch back and forth.

Also, what has made a big difference for me is stretching... we live in an upstairs apartment and use stairs going up. I grab each banister (we put up a second one) and let my body fall forward (up the stairs) and the relief I experience in upper back pain is wonderful. Leg strecthes (putting one foot up 4 steps and leaning forward) help me a lot, too. I try to use the stairs every hour or so and this allows me to sew and quilt for much longer periods of time. Also, I've been taught to sit gently instead of "falling" into a chair! Sounds silly, but it's made a difference! Bottom line is try to get as good advice as you can for your particular problems and try out the solutions you think might work. Good luck!

Last edited by Sierra; 07-31-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 AM

I, too use an adjustable secretarial chair from which I removed the arms. You must be able to look down on your work so consider the height of your sewing table/desk. Good luck finding your balance.