Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Challenge On The Stamp Block Quilt Tops!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/challenge-stamp-block-quilt-tops-t144197.html)

Havplenty 08-20-2011 08:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
have any of you tried using fusible interfacing as the backing to tack down your squares and then sewing them together? it seams they will go together faster that way and with straighter seams. i gonna try it once i get started with my ps quilt.

see attached pics

Honchey 08-20-2011 08:26 PM

Hi Evie, Whatever I end up doing won't be charming either :D !

I'll have to wait to do a few swaps in order to get more even tho I have alot. I think what I'm going to do is to add alot of different neutrals mostly creams and beige like a 9 patch. I'll have to check out some photos of some quilts before I start.

Vicky K 08-21-2011 05:50 PM

I'm back and very red. LOL. We were on the boat today and forgot how much the water reflects the sun. Will be dressing gingerly for a few days.
Hope to get downstairs tonight to finish cutting. And then work on sewing starting tomorrow. Yay, finally.
How was everyone's weekend?

HummerGardenCrafts 08-22-2011 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Vicky K
I'm back and very red. LOL. We were on the boat today and forgot how much the water reflects the sun. Will be dressing gingerly for a few days.
Hope to get downstairs tonight to finish cutting. And then work on sewing starting tomorrow. Yay, finally.
How was everyone's weekend?

So glad you are back Vicky!!! Now I have someone to gang up with me to pick at Evie!!!! Over her giving my hubby away to five kids. giggle

My weekend was, I worked in my Quilt House Sat. Got all my pieces for a set of rag table placemats all cut out and pinned. So I get to start sewing today, hopefully.

Stuffed some pumpkins. Should finish those in a day or two. I'll post picks.

Only sewed a little on my postage stamp top. I worked a little on it this morning. I can sew those little pieces up faster than I sew the rows together.

Then Sunday, was a sad day. I had to tell my daughter by. Her and her family are moving to TN to live. It will take some getting use to her not being here. Or close to where I can go see her. I always called her at least once a day at work to check on her. I just know I'll catch myself picking the phone up to call her.

My week today will start out running. Got to take Mushka to the vet. Wed. I have to take my avalanche to the dr. giggle My parts came in for them to put on it.

If I have to go out on a Monday, I usually spend the rest of the week having to run out and do something.

Glad you are back.

I have to start cutting this week.

quiltmouse 08-22-2011 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
have any of you tried using fusible interfacing as the backing to tack down your squares and then sewing them together? it seams they will go together faster that way and with straighter seams. i gonna try it once i get started with my ps quilt.

Havplenty, you're right, those look really smooth. Rather similar to paperpiecing. Very pretty, love your fabrics!!!

Back in the day, 30 yrs ago, I made all my clothes. (Very tall, very shortwaisted, very long arms). Fusible interfacing on collars & cuffs, would make the fabric wobbly, shrink up in the wash, I guess.

Has fusible interfacing improved? Or will it do that to your blocks?

...inquiring quiltmouse

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
Vicky, I didn't get any done last night at all. I wanted to get all the boo boo bags whipped up. So they are all done.

I'm sorry your daughter is moving so far from you, I know you will miss her.
boo boo bags? Do tell. I searched on your posts, but did not see any mention other than here. what is it? got pix?

Honchey 08-22-2011 07:05 AM

I would also like to know that. I'm going to do place mats with the stamps as this is my first project and this would be an easy way to see if I like the outcome. Anne

Evie 08-22-2011 08:22 AM

I have a bunch of 7-inch block done and those little suckers are heavy! My guess would be that the fusible would make them even more so, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure. But, Anne, I would think it would be OK for placemats and other small projects.

Havplenty 08-25-2011 11:16 AM

my pics are for potholders. i haven't tried it yet for my quilt but i will. the interfacing is very lightweight so the fabric is not heavy.

@quiltmouse - i made most of my clothing also so i had a lot of interfacing leftover from my sewing days to use.

HummerGardenCrafts 08-26-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse

Originally Posted by Havplenty

Havplenty, you're right, those look really smooth. Rather similar to paperpiecing. Very pretty, love your fabrics!!!

Back in the day, 30 yrs ago, I made all my clothes. (Very tall, very shortwaisted, very long arms). Fusible interfacing on collars & cuffs, would make the fabric wobbly, shrink up in the wash, I guess.

Has fusible interfacing improved? Or will it do that to your blocks?

...inquiring quiltmouse

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
Vicky, I didn't get any done last night at all. I wanted to get all the boo boo bags whipped up. So they are all done.

I'm sorry your daughter is moving so far from you, I know you will miss her.
boo boo bags? Do tell. I searched on your posts, but did not see any mention other than here. what is it? got pix?

I will get some pics tomorrow when I got up to the quilt house. They are different size bags filled with rice. You can put them in the freezer or microwave. I love making them. And they have been selling really well.

Thanks about my daughters move! I sure miss them a lot. And it hasn't even been a week yet either!

HummerGardenCrafts 08-26-2011 05:37 PM

Sorry I haven't been on lately. I'm been really running the roads. Vet, truck Dr., rental vehicles since my truck had to stay. I can't get anything done when I have to stay on the road.
I don't know about you girls, but when I have to leave the house and go out, my day is done.
I only have one trip out next week, I hope. The dreaded dentist. Yuk! But that's better than having a toothache. So far no toothache. So I want that sucker out. I have to chew on one side.
Oh, I might have to take one fur ball to get his teeth taken care of also. So we will both be in the same shape. But I figure he will be worse off than me. He will have to have more taken out.
I'm headed up in the morning toget some postage stamps cut. I got behind. And I need to get caught back up again.

I have my postage stamp rows on my lap. So I better get to sewing. Or everyone is going to pass me up fast.