Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Changed my rotary cutter blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/changed-my-rotary-cutter-blades-t285456.html)

Jan in VA 01-23-2017 09:19 PM

Using a permanent marker sharpie, I mark the date change on the new blade when I install it. That has helped me stay more up to date! :)

Jan in VA

Teddybear Lady 01-23-2017 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7748160)
Using a permanent marker sharpie, I mark the date change on the new blade when I install it. That has helped me stay more up to date! :)

Jan in VA

Do you use them a certain length of time or just change them when they get dull? I forget about changing mine until I start having trouble cutting through fabric. I then remember that it's probably time to change them. duh!:shock:

jmoore 01-24-2017 05:06 AM

That reminds me...I am getting low on my 45mm size and not even sure if I have a backup for my next change...and that is my go-to size. (Yikes)

MargeD 01-24-2017 05:21 AM

I do the same thing myself, then wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

PaperPrincess 01-24-2017 06:19 AM

My cousin, sister and I split an order of 100 blades from an ebay seller. Less than $1 a blade, so I change them whenever I have to start putting lots of pressure to make a cut.

Jordan 01-24-2017 06:42 AM

I also do the same thing. What a difference it makes AND I bought a new cutting mat too! I have had my old cutting mat for probably 20 years and I really like how everything runs so smoothly when old items are replaced!

Sew Freak 01-24-2017 06:54 AM

I know what you mean!!!....whenever I change a blade I feel like I can conquer any quilt that comes my way....lol!

NoraB 01-24-2017 08:32 AM

Must be the season of the moon! I changed my cutter yesterday. I always write on the old package when I changed the blade. The date of when I put in the new blade was August 8! I cut almost every day between trimming blocks and cutting fabric. I think perhaps 5 months might be too long to wait! Yikes! I must have been sawing the fabric for awhile! My husband says a dull knife can be as dangerous as a sharp knife when cutting. I think I'd better pay attention to this as it pertains to the rotary blades! Everyone, have a fun and safe day sewing!

Onebyone 01-24-2017 08:50 AM

Why do you wait? I change at first skip. A blade may last me one day, a week or a few months. I have a basket full of rotary cutters and use a different one each time. If one skips it goes in another basket to have the blade changed. One of my guild members asked Don't you feel guilty not using the blade until it gets really bad? Uh No. That is ridiculous.

tessagin 01-24-2017 09:09 AM

I remember the same and how many of my own I threw into the recycle bin. It was enlightening and cleansing just like new blades.

Originally Posted by wesing (Post 7747912)
I ALWAYS wonder why I waited so long to replace the blade. I guess I have too much of my Granny in me. She lived through the depression and saved EVERYTHING! When she passed I bet we threw away 100 pounds of "butterware." You know what I mean: Cool Whip containers, sour cream containers, spreadable margarine containers, etc. Sometimes I will debate throwing something away thinking I can find a use for it and think of her. Then I laugh at myself and remember cleaning out her house and toss the item in my hand. Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I just smiled again thinking of Granny and her ways. Thanks for the reminder.