Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Charity Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charity-quilts-t127580.html)

emerald46 06-03-2011 03:18 AM

Pinwheel, Rail Fence, Turning Twenty, Chinese Coins and 9 patch are my favorites for my charity quilts. All can be scrappy and help use up stash! I use Warm & Natural for batting because it is lightweight.

Buckeye Rose 06-03-2011 04:50 AM

thank you all for the great ideas....I like the idea of getting a group together and having a sewing day!....I can see my girls and I spending the day yakking and sewing and generally having a great day all while doing a good thing for someone else. I am waiting on an email from the person who will distribute the quilts to give me requirements and then I will get busy! I also think that I will go to LQS and see if she has any scraps (especially batting) that she would like to donate.

ckcowl 06-03-2011 05:26 AM

if the quilts will be used at the hospital/facility a couple things to keep in mind is,,,

quilts should fit hospital size beds- not hang down alot because of equipment/tubes ect...

commercial laundry! the quilt will go through a hot wash- and a hot dryer===make it sturdy. wash the quilt when it is completed- no fabric softener- you need to remove all chemicals-oils-soil before giving

machine stitch the binding top and bottom- hand stitched bindings can *catch* iv's- pic lines and rip them out.

put a label on the quilt with at least your name, location and date....families appreciate this.

gigigray032447 06-03-2011 06:01 AM

Most of the quilts I make are comfort quilts, and they go (with others from the guild) to the local hospital's oncology unit. Because fabric is shrinking in width, I have adjusted the size I make to 39x60 (or so). That way, I don't have to buy wide backing. I know, I know, I could sew a wider backing, but I just hate doing it, so I don't. The majority in our group tie the quilts with embroidery floss, and then the binding is sewn on both sides with the machine. I found a tutorial online somewhere that showed a beautiful way to do this. Last year I made 47 tops, the tying was done by the person that works for me here at the frame shop, and the binding was done by another woman in the guild. Since I've already made a queen and 2 twin quilts this spring, I doubt I will make 47 this year. I use a lot of scrappy patterns so I don't have to buy as much fabric. In fact, this week I am making crumb blocks from a tutorial I found on this site. Dig around on the net and find patterns that use strips or scrappy pieces, and you can whip them out in no time.

Merle 06-03-2011 06:22 AM

Have you checked out Prayers and Squares. These are tied quilts and each knot on them is ties with a prayer for this person, whatever the adversity. They are so appreciated. The organization is nationwide and they have free patterns on the internet. You would have to start your own group but it is only 30.00 to start. I think this would certainly be what you might be looking for. I believe on the internet it is spelled Prayers & Squares.