Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Charity Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charity-quilts-t127580.html)

Buckeye Rose 06-02-2011 03:39 PM

My husband was just in the hospital for a "tune-up" and I had the opportunity to talk with the social worker for the transplant unit. I want to be able to give back something to the people who saved my husband's life and I thought quilts for transplant patients might be a good idea. Some of them are there for months and I think a pretty quilt would be good to help brighten their days. I know there are quilters here on this board who do quilts for charity and wondered if you have any helpful hints for me. I do know that it will give me a chance to work on some of the easier patterns that I haven't had a chance to try yet. And I will also be able to use up some of my scraps! Any help here is greatly appreciated.

fabric whisperer 06-02-2011 03:46 PM

I don't know of any ongoing programs, but if there aren't any, you could start one :) Go for it, the simple patterns are easy, loved, and so appreciated :) I do lots of NICU quilts, Project Linus, Quilts for Kids, and Quilts of Valor. No such thing as an ugly fabric for them, they appreciate anything!

Tink's Mom 06-02-2011 03:59 PM

I'm just done sandwiching a quilt for Joplin, MO. Sent one to Alabama for the tornado people, and a couple for Japan...
Mine are just simple 4" squares...all scrappy.
I have used up an entire brown grocery bag stuffed full of scraps. :-D I still want to do a couple more kid ones...but inbetween some other sewing.

blueangel 06-02-2011 04:02 PM

There are many easy quilt that I'm sure would be greatly appreciated.

meemersmom 06-02-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
My husband was just in the hospital for a "tune-up" and I had the opportunity to talk with the social worker for the transplant unit. I want to be able to give back something to the people who saved my husband's life and I thought quilts for transplant patients might be a good idea. Some of them are there for months and I think a pretty quilt would be good to help brighten their days. I know there are quilters here on this board who do quilts for charity and wondered if you have any helpful hints for me. I do know that it will give me a chance to work on some of the easier patterns that I haven't had a chance to try yet. And I will also be able to use up some of my scraps! Any help here is greatly appreciated.

It doesn't have to be fancy. Cuddly, soft backing, such as flannel or fleece, is much appreciated. And, make sure its washable in warm water. It will most likely be cleaned in the hospital laundry, so it needs to withstand a bit of punishment. Put your heart into it...the recipient will know you did and appreciate it all the more.

Painiacs 06-02-2011 06:17 PM

Are they adult sized ones? I might have a cple kid sized one if interested pm me!

Maureen 06-02-2011 06:27 PM

My quilt group did some for Alabama and Missouri. We did quilt as you go. Put batting and backing 1 and 1/3yard each and spray with 505 or spray baste. We cut different size strips and just sewed them to the batting and backing. Square up, bind, done. We did 8 in one night. Some were cutting strips some sewing, some binding. We switched jobs every so often, brought food, it was fun. Ours were all for kids and some were for boys with various sports strips and some for girls in pinks and flowers and ballerinas
All donated from our staches. There is a tutorial on MSQ of a baby quilt or table runner done this way, thats where we got the idea.

Ramona Byrd 06-02-2011 06:53 PM

I'd suggest you talk to the unit nurses. They have a very good idea of what is needed.

Or talk to some of the volunteers, they know what is needed all over the place, and if not will lead you to someone who can tell you exactly what size and what fabrics.

jemma 06-02-2011 09:01 PM

great pattern is called chinese coins recomend using a light weight strip as foundation[vilene]--you can use all your scraps

VickyS 06-02-2011 09:34 PM

The quilts our group has done for local area hospitals have three requirements:

All Cotton - allergies and dust.

Prewashed with non-allergic soaps and no scented dryer sheets.

Size generally 45" - 60" by 50"-70". Neonatal are usually 45" squares minimum to cover the units so it doesn't look so sterile. The children are only wrapped in them when they go home.

Hope this helps.