Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Charity Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/charity-quilts-t237639.html)

Tink's Mom 12-29-2013 05:33 PM

I couldn't tell you how many quilts I have donated this year....I do know the last one was just donated a couple of weeks ago. It was supposed to be a twin...but due to a miscalculation....lol...it became a queen. But the receipient
was so pleased....she was in tears and couldn't talk...just cry and hug.

I birth all of my donation quilts....I top stitch near the edge for some extra strength.

patchsamkim 12-29-2013 05:59 PM

I personally make 4-6 charity quilts a year for Project Linus. I also go to the annual work day and help either with tying or sewing on labels. I prefer adding a binding when I make my charity quilts.

pocoellie 12-29-2013 06:13 PM

It's just 2 of us that make and donate quilts, but we've donated over 30 quilts this year, but I don't think that any of them were birthed. Personally, I don't like birthing and would rather take more time and do a traditional binding. The important thing is though, is which YOU prefer and which is easiest for YOU.

GrannieAnnie 12-29-2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Barbwork (Post 6479758)
Curious as to how many charity quilts you donate each year... and, how many of those are "birthed" instead of a formal binding.

I made probably 25 rag quilts --personal sized. All went to ailing members of my church.

MacThayer 12-29-2013 10:15 PM

I've never "birthed" a quilt, so all of mine are FMQ and binding. I only did 3 Charity quilts this year, but hope to do more in 2014.

SlightlyOffQuilter 12-30-2013 03:11 AM

I donated 9 quilts this year. 1 super sized throw for a local Autism Fundraiser auction, 6 for the nursing home my mother works at, and 2 for Quilts 4 Kids. All were machine quilted and I did machine bind them all to make sure they would hold up to alot of laundering.

carolaug 12-30-2013 04:08 AM

I feel the same. I tried birthing a few and really do not like the look of it. So I bind.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6480256)
I agree Dina, I have done that many tops so far. I birth a table runner and am having problems with getting the closed section position correctly. Binding looks so much nicer but that is just my opinion.

Juliebelle 12-30-2013 04:12 AM

I did 11 last year and I bound them all, I do jot seem to have much luck with the birthing method.

mirish2 12-30-2013 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Annie68 (Post 6480347)
I bind all my charity quilts, sometimes hand sewn down, other times machine sewn, I've never birthed a quilt. It seems easier to put on a binding for me, have been doing it that way for many years.

I agree with Annie, binding is easier for me. I did about 3 dozen Linus quilts, one QOV and helped with 3 other QOV's

quiltqueen61 12-30-2013 05:44 AM

I donate quilts to Linus and our local store here where you drop them off gives you free fabric for everyone you donate.....I probably donate 25 to 30 quilts a year.....