Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   chatelaine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chatelaine-t63.html)

PB 11-20-2006 05:19 PM

I would like to find a pattern for a chatelaine for a secret pal. I know it holds scissors and thimbles and not sure what else. Your help would be appreciated.

kathy 11-21-2006 04:51 AM

Ive never heard that word before but most quilt supply sites have patterns for items like that, If you type in Quilts by the Bay in Galveston Texas in your search box, they have lots of patterns for notions

Donna 11-21-2006 08:23 AM

I found this site:

http://www.byannie.com/scrapbag_chatelaine_patterns.html

There is one there and they sell patterns, didn't specifically look to see if that one was on there, but would assume so. Yep, it is there, thought I should check. It is under "A Place for Everything".

Donna

Skeat 11-22-2006 04:58 AM

Was very surprised myself just recently (I love these myself!) But, at Walmart, in the sewing end isle...is exactly the set to make for these. I have them on my Christmas list. Such fun too! Believe the brand is Clover. Also, check out keepsake quilting...believe they had a small version..Keep us posted on your finds! The real silversmiths that make these to sell...are beautiful-but, very costly. Skeat :lol: :lol:

Knot Sew 11-22-2006 05:49 AM

What a great idea.........I always have to stop and look for things........also it would keep the pins out of the carpet......thanks for the idea

Skeat 11-23-2006 05:54 PM

Also, Jenny Beyer has a hand quilting book (just beautiful!)...can prob find it at your library. Know that Borders usually has it in stock. Anyhow..she has a whole chapter on 'Chatelaine's'...she collects them and gives references to some that make them. Skeat :wink:
[co

Christine 11-24-2006 03:27 PM

I've a quilting book here called "Crazy Quilt Odyssey--Adventures in Victorian Needlework" by Judith Montano. It has a wonderful pattern for a chatelaine, plus some other lovely things to make that would be awesome gifts. It was published in 91, so I've no idea how hard it would be to find a copy now, but it would be worth the search. I would be happy to try and make copies of the pattern itself if you'd like. Chris

gr8tchr4u 12-05-2006 08:27 PM

Hi, I remember seeing some in that wonderful southern lady's sewing magazine, Sew Perfect. She has some on her website and did a show about it. I was rummy with a fever when I saw it, but I do remember because I wanted to make some. :)

Randy 12-15-2006 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I received a chaterlaine from my sister-in-law as a birthday gift. From her gift I made a pattern and made several. I will attach a picture of 2 of them.

Length of the Chaterlaine: 41 inches long (white) 42 1/2 Inches (blk/red)
Width of the Chaterlaine: 3 1/2 Inches wide at the bottom (White)
2 1/2 Inches wide at bottom (Blk/Red)

2 1/2 In. wide where it rides around neck(wh)
1 3/4 Inches wide around neck (Blk/Red

Chatterlaine has a small pin cushion (blue on white/green on blk/red)
Chatterlaine has a mall Pouch on inside of LEFT side of chatterlaine for a
spool of tread or ??
Chatterlaine also has a small pouch on the OUTSIDE LEFT for notions - pouch is Orange on the Blk/Red Chatterlaine.

On the top of each pouch (the opening) I put a piece of thin elastic in to make the opening pucker a little bit so whatever is carried in the pouch can't fall out. You will note that the pouches also have a bottom which is about a 3/4 circle attached to the rectangular piece of fabric used to make the pouch...I hope these instructions are clear???

Small ring attached to RIGHT side of Chatterlaine and a pair of tiny scissors are attached.

When making these, I found that if I put a piece of velcro just above the bottom of the chatterlaine on each side I could clasp the two ends together so I didn't keep "losing them" off my neck.

I used bias tape around the edges of the chatterlaine. They make great little gifts and are fun to make.

Chaterlain Neck Tie for sewing notions.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46767[/ATTACH]

Donna 12-15-2006 01:11 PM

Randy, thank you so much. My birthday is in Feb so I will consider this my birthday present. They are very, very nice, and what a neat idea. I had never heard of them until I joined this group.