Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cheap practical machine for FMQ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cheap-practical-machine-fmq-t138639.html)

SueSew 07-18-2011 06:21 PM

I have a nice new Janome domestic machine 3160 QDC which I like, once I got used to sewing using a plastic machine after my 1966 Elna went to the metal-recycler. It was $600 on sale - woo woo. I do cover it up during the day so the sun won't warp it.

But the throat, or gap, or whatever is under 7"- it is enough work shoving a 60 sq in quilt around it to do some basic walking-foot stuff, even though I roll up both sides of the quilt.

It occurred to me I might buy a cheap used machine with more room to maneuver a quilt -

Do you think it's worth it or should I just muscle around the FMQ with my Janome?

BluegrassGurl 07-18-2011 06:27 PM

I have tried FMQ with my small machine (under 7" throat too). Small items are ok... but when it comes to a bed size quilt.... no way for me. I get too frustrated as I feel I'm doing more wrestling than sewing.

I am seriously considering purchasing the Brother PQ1500S. Straight stitch machine only.... has a 9" throat/harp. I believe the going price is around $600.

emmy 07-18-2011 06:44 PM

I have the Babylock Quest Plus that has a built in walking foot and almost 9" of space. I love the machine. The straight stitch is wonderful and because of the walking foot I never get any puckers. Would be very hard to quilt with anything less than 9".

emmy 07-18-2011 06:45 PM

Forgot to add, it is not cheap, however.

deedum 07-18-2011 07:35 PM

I would find an old Singer 15, I quilted 3 full size quilts on mine since April. Finished one tonite, no more wrestling for me! You can find them really reasonable.

Dolphyngyrl 07-18-2011 08:02 PM

brother 1500 is 500 dollars and gets good reviews

Maia B 07-18-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by emmy
I have the Babylock Quest Plus that has a built in walking foot and almost 9" of space. I love the machine. The straight stitch is wonderful and because of the walking foot I never get any puckers. Would be very hard to quilt with anything less than 9".

I also have a Quest Plus which I adore. I think it's a lot of machine for the money. I also have Berninas, and the QP actually compares very favorably. But since you have the 3160, with all it's features, a straight stitcher like the Brother 1500, Juki 98 or 2010, Janome 1600, or such might be a great choice for you. 9" harp for around $600 or more depending on the brand.

Shelbie 07-19-2011 02:47 AM

I recently picked up a free 1947 Singer 201 in a cabinet which I then had cleaned and re-wired for $70. You can drop the feeddogs on this machine and its harp has as much room as my Janome 6500. It is so powerful and doesn't jam, growl or balk at thicker seams. I just finished a full sized quilt on it and I was amazed. The only feature I'm missing is my automatic thread cutter!

SueSew 07-19-2011 04:26 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions! This Board is the greatest! Quilting is supposed to be a weekend hobby but it is truly addictive. I'm trying to keep the costs low. I'm going to check out the new ones you suggested to learn about them, but I'm definitely going to hunt for an old used Singer; maybe I'll come on a used 'new' machine for a reasonable price.

snipforfun 07-19-2011 04:52 AM

I love my Bro. 1500. My preference for straight stitching and FMQ. Try www.allbrands.com. Ive had good service from them. Free sjipping on this machine.