Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cheaper by width (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cheaper-width-t108469.html)

EagarBeez 03-17-2011 04:27 PM

DH and I were talking. I had bought quilt backing 108 in. I purchased 4 yrds.
DH who is very good with figures said to me, perhaps you would be better off buying your fabric that you need with the width of 108 in, you would need less yardage and it would cost less then yds of 45 inches.
Do you think that is a good idea??

Sadiemae 03-17-2011 04:29 PM

If I am buying wide fabric I do this. I also turn the batting whichever direction saves on yardage.

lots2do 03-17-2011 04:31 PM

I haven't worked with wide fabric yet. I'll be watching the responses here, though. You've got me curious!

Oh,and a lot of the fabric I've purchased lately isn't 45 inches wide any more.

DogHouseMom 03-17-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
DH who is very good with figures said to me, perhaps you would be better off buying your fabric that you need with the width of 108 in, you would need less yardage and it would cost less then yds of 45 inches.

Yes, except for the limited selection.

Has anyone seen batiks in 108?

lots2do 03-17-2011 04:33 PM

I think Sew Batik has them. Some long armers sell it. I've seen their fabric at quilt shows and it's beautiful.

happyscrappy 03-17-2011 04:35 PM

i had a 50% off coupon and the only fabric that was not on sale was this 108" backing so i bought it thinking it would come in handy some day. i, also, realized that the price was the same as the 45" fabric. i had never bought the wide fabric for backing before and i thought the same thing. however, the selection was very minimal.

NikkiLu 03-17-2011 04:55 PM

Hancocks of Paducah has the wide batik fabric - think it was about $20 per yard - twice what the regular width fabric was - it was $10 per yard.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by EagarBeez

Yes, except for the limited selection.

Has anyone seen batiks in 108?

great aunt jacqui 03-17-2011 04:57 PM

think Connecting threads has a fair selection, not just neutrals

bluteddi 03-17-2011 04:57 PM

DH and I have had this discussion before as well.... and as one stated above... the down side to this is the limited selection of patterns/prints

but otherise. normallyit does figure out cheaper to buy it in a wider width.

scowlkat 03-17-2011 05:09 PM

I have purchased wide backing fabric several times for just that reason! (Math has always been a passion of mine!)