Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Cheaper by width

  1. #1
    Super Member EagarBeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Eagar, Arizona
    Posts
    1,641
    DH and I were talking. I had bought quilt backing 108 in. I purchased 4 yrds.
    DH who is very good with figures said to me, perhaps you would be better off buying your fabric that you need with the width of 108 in, you would need less yardage and it would cost less then yds of 45 inches.
    Do you think that is a good idea??

  2. #2
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20
    If I am buying wide fabric I do this. I also turn the batting whichever direction saves on yardage.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine-ly Florida
    Posts
    3,809
    I haven't worked with wide fabric yet. I'll be watching the responses here, though. You've got me curious!

    Oh,and a lot of the fabric I've purchased lately isn't 45 inches wide any more.

  4. #4
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,733
    Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    DH and I were talking. I had bought quilt backing 108 in. I purchased 4 yrds.
    DH who is very good with figures said to me, perhaps you would be better off buying your fabric that you need with the width of 108 in, you would need less yardage and it would cost less then yds of 45 inches.
    Do you think that is a good idea??
    Yes, except for the limited selection.

    Has anyone seen batiks in 108?

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine-ly Florida
    Posts
    3,809
    I think Sew Batik has them. Some long armers sell it. I've seen their fabric at quilt shows and it's beautiful.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    west allis, wisconsin
    Posts
    430
    i had a 50% off coupon and the only fabric that was not on sale was this 108" backing so i bought it thinking it would come in handy some day. i, also, realized that the price was the same as the 45" fabric. i had never bought the wide fabric for backing before and i thought the same thing. however, the selection was very minimal.

  7. #7
    Super Member NikkiLu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So. Central MO
    Posts
    2,658
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hancocks of Paducah has the wide batik fabric - think it was about $20 per yard - twice what the regular width fabric was - it was $10 per yard.


    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    DH and I were talking. I had bought quilt backing 108 in. I purchased 4 yrds.
    DH who is very good with figures said to me, perhaps you would be better off buying your fabric that you need with the width of 108 in, you would need less yardage and it would cost less then yds of 45 inches.
    Do you think that is a good idea??
    Yes, except for the limited selection.

    Has anyone seen batiks in 108?

  8. #8
    Super Member great aunt jacqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    new hampshire
    Posts
    1,569
    think Connecting threads has a fair selection, not just neutrals

  9. #9
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    DH and I have had this discussion before as well.... and as one stated above... the down side to this is the limited selection of patterns/prints

    but otherise. normallyit does figure out cheaper to buy it in a wider width.

  10. #10
    Super Member scowlkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,528
    Blog Entries
    11
    I have purchased wide backing fabric several times for just that reason! (Math has always been a passion of mine!)

  11. #11
    Super Member kathdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    Posts
    2,484
    Blog Entries
    2
    I used the wide fabric on the first quilt I made because it worked out to be cheaper when you figure all the square inches you get. It worked great but was a lot to juggle when I had to cut it.

  12. #12
    Super Member Pamela Artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan U.P.
    Posts
    1,075
    Yes, if you buy one and a quarter yard (45") of wide fabric, that's the same as 3 regular yards. So, if your backing is $10 per yard, you'd pay $12.50 for it, the same as $4.17 per yard of regular width fabric.

  13. #13
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    My favorite eBay fabric seller carries over 100 108" wide fabrics, including marbles and tie-dyes, WOW, tone-on-tones, antique-looking prints on natural and tan.

    At $8-10/yd, the wide backings do, indeed save money over the 44-45" wide fabrics, which run $6-7/yd in her store. I buy my WOW prints in this width because I use them so much.

    She doesn't sell junky stuff, either - her fabrics are very nice quality for the price. :)

    http://stores.ebay.com/QUILT-UNIQUE-...=p4634.c0.m322

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    unless you get a really good deal then it is less expensive to buy the wide fabric. A simple math check is
    3 yds of wide = ?$$
    6 yds of 45" = ?$$

    Our local $1.99 Fabric Store recently had wide backing at $1.99 per yd. Now that was a deal - so 3 yds= $6.
    6 yds of 45" at $1.99 = $12. \\

    All their fabric is $1.99 and some good quality. I say this just to make you jealous. But I understand during the bad snow storm here the roof fell in. I believe they are back in business tho.

  15. #15
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20
    It definitely depends on prices, but I have quilted a couple with wide backs and I loved them with no seams.

  16. #16
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    I've found that the wider backing fabrics are thinner than standard quilting cottons, a major hassle to wash-press-fold-store-cut, and very limited in selection, as has already been mentioned. For those reasons, it's just not worth the couple dollars savings to me.

  17. #17
    Super Member justflyingin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jozefow, Poland
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    My favorite eBay fabric seller carries over 100 108" wide fabrics, including marbles and tie-dyes, WOW, tone-on-tones, antique-looking prints on natural and tan.

    At $8-10/yd, the wide backings do, indeed save money over the 44-45" wide fabrics, which run $6-7/yd in her store. I buy my WOW prints in this width because I use them so much.

    She doesn't sell junky stuff, either - her fabrics are very nice quality for the price. :)

    http://stores.ebay.com/QUILT-UNIQUE-...fsub=21497259&

    _sid=191637665&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
    She really does have good prices! I just checked it out. 8.95 for 108" stuff. amazing.

  18. #18
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I've found that the wider backing fabrics are thinner than standard quilting cottons, a major hassle to wash-press-fold-store-cut, and very limited in selection, as has already been mentioned. For those reasons, it's just not worth the couple dollars savings to me.
    I didn't know this, I will have to watch.

  19. #19
    Super Member jdiane318's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    springfield, MO
    Posts
    2,456
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    DH and I were talking. I had bought quilt backing 108 in. I purchased 4 yrds.
    DH who is very good with figures said to me, perhaps you would be better off buying your fabric that you need with the width of 108 in, you would need less yardage and it would cost less then yds of 45 inches.
    Do you think that is a good idea??
    Yes, except for the limited selection.

    Has anyone seen batiks in 108?
    I know that Tonga has the 108" batiks in quite a few colors schemes. They run about $16.75 a yard but went to the wholesaler and found the same and their cost/price was $7.50 a yard but had to take the entire bolt. So if you have a tax number, that would be the way to go. Haiks fabrics in Springfield, MO is the wholesaler and they supply stores nationwide.

  20. #20
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    There's a very good discussion on this topic here.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-72578-1.htm

  21. #21
    Senior Member quiltingaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    661
    I like wide backs. After wrestling with a queen or king quilt to get all the borders on, I am glad I do not have to do the same seaming the back. I have found a good selection here. I prefer that to a sheet as it is hard to get sheets for a good price that are 100% cotton.

    When buying wide backs, make sure they tear instead of cut the edges, same with wide muslim. Folding and rolling wide fabric on bolt distorts it and cutting will leave uneven edges. All the local stores including Joann's tears wide backs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.