Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best deal or is there something cheaper?

I decided to go with muslin to back all the applique work for my stained glass quilting series. I have found when comparing prices it would be cheaper (plus waste less fabric) if I got 108" backing fabric instead of the typical 44".

The cheapest I found so far is at walmart.com. Yes, Wal-Mart sells fabric on their website. They have 179 different fabrics (not sure if this is including the different colors and variations you can get for each fabric). They're selling 108" wide muslin in 3 yard cuts for $16.47. I really only need 2 yards (max), but so far anything I've found where I can get the exact yardage I need has been $20+ total (not inclusing shipping costs). Plus with Wal-Mart I don't have to pay for shipping if I get it shipped to the store and I get a discount because I work there....so actually its $14.82 with my discount.

Would I be getting the best deal with this (3 yards for $14.82 and no shipping cost)?

Sounds like a no brainer to me

Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    Sounds like a no brainer to me
    That's what I'm thinking, but I ask just in case. I seem to buy things and then find them cheaper somewhere else or they reduce in price like a week later. Like my bias bars. Bought them at one quilt shop I go to and two weeks later went to another quilt shop I go to and realized I could have bought them there for two bucks cheaper (that two bucks could have been used to buy a fat quarter!)

The only thing cheaper might be a sheet.

Go for it! Can't beat it.

I often purchase the wider muslin when I have a coupon or it is on sale. I can never have to much of it in my stash. It is often the cheapest way to purchase yardage. If I am lucky I can pick up some of the colored muslin in the wider widths.

Blog Entries
    Great find! It is more than you need, but some muslin will shrink waaay more than others :wink: :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    sounds like a good deal to me. :)

It sounds like a good deal to me too.

i've seen it cheaper at JA, but the quality was not so hot, as usual. it was $3.99 and you could get the 2 yards you need. but count on shrinkage either way. do you know about the quality of the WM fabric? as for JA, if there's a store near you, there would be no shipping, and it's available in bleached and unbleached. it's worth checking out.

just make certain to preshrink it since it is not LQS quality.

Sounds good to me.

I'd say Joann's...They start their diff brands of Muslin from 1.49, 1.99, 2.49 up to 8.99 And with a coupon....might be cheaper there. I buy Kona at 5.99yd which is the best and with 40 off coupon...better deal and quality

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i've seen it cheaper at JA, but the quality was not so hot, as usual. it was $3.99 and you could get the 2 yards you need. but count on shrinkage either way. do you know about the quality of the WM fabric? as for JA, if there's a store near you, there would be no shipping, and it's available in bleached and unbleached. it's worth checking out.
    That's what I would want to know, is the quality what you want?

i bought the $3.99 bleached 108" muslin. it did shrink about 2+" a yard, but it pulled in tighter for the shrinkage. if you adjusted for shrinkage, i'd say it's still a better deal. i'd get 2.5 yards and use the extra for ironing cloths, foundations or stash.

Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter
    just make certain to preshrink it since it is not LQS quality.
    I always prewash. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    That's what I would want to know, is the quality what you want?
    I suppose as long as it isn't threadbare it should be fine since my wallhangings won't be washed or manhandled nearly as much as a quilt. Its going to be completely covered with pieces and bias tape made from a higher quality fabric anyways. lol. Really I just need something to put all that applique on. If it turned out the fabric were really flimsy I could possibly stabilize it with something.

Muslin is the one fabric I pretty much won't buy unless I can feel it The quality varies sooooo much on muslin. One of my friends had a 200 thread count muslin we were going to use on the back of a guild quilt but it's so thin you can see thru it.

Power Poster
    If you get it, be sure to shrink it before using it.

I bought some roc-lon tea-dyed muslin - it said pre-shrunk on the end of the bolt.

It shrank INCHES! when I soaked it in hot water - and then very gently washed and dried it.

(I measured before and after)

imo, you have to allow 5 -6"extra per yard for muslin. there WILL be leftovers, even after shrinkage, but you can always use it somehow. i still think joann's is the best buy if you can get it without shipping. i would never buy muslin with the feel test.

i totally agree with bear.

My two cents is that I would be a little hesitant if you have never seen or felt this fabric before. I have not been happy with a couple of the pieces of fabric that I bought online at WM so I sent them back.

I just bought muslin at JoAnn's with my 50% off coupon and I think you would be further ahead to check there. They have several different price points and you can see what is going to meet your needs the best.

JMHO

Blog Entries
    With your discount, it'd probably be hard to do better. Good luck!

i have a 50% coupon for joann's. if anyone wants it, pm me and i can email to you. i don't know any other way to send it. there'a also a 40% that goes with it.

Blog Entries
    I'd just watch for the quality of the fabric. I bought one of Walmarts bolts of muslin and when I went to use it I noticed it was so thin you could see thru it. I'll use it on a design wall or to practice on but not in a quilt. It's a good price if the quality is there. See if they have the same brand in the store where you can see it.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg
    I'd just watch for the quality of the fabric. I bought one of Walmarts bolts of muslin and when I went to use it I noticed it was so thin you could see thru it. I'll use it on a design wall or to practice on but not in a quilt. It's a good price if the quality is there. See if they have the same brand in the store where you can see it.

There are differences within a given brand name, too.

Buy a muslin sheet - you can probably get a fairly good idea of what it's like - wash it in hot water - and you are good to go.

No big deal. Probably less $ than buying yardage. If you are extremely frugal, unsew the hems on both ends and that you will have more usable fabric.

I do not know if the measurements on the package are the cut size or finished size of the sheet.

I'm not getting to Joann's anytime soon as the nearest one is an hour away and my boyfriend takes me to quilt shops as I don't drive...and right now having him drive two hours up here and driving another hour to get to La Crosse is unrealistic. So I bought the Wal-Mart fabric online.

If its really not suitable I can always use it for practice projects. But I think it would have to be incredibly horrible to not be used in the wallhangings since the muslin is not going to be visable once all the stained glass applique is put on top of it and the wallhangings are not going to be used like a quilt. Ah heck...I'll probably have about a yard or so of leftovers anyways to use for practice stuff.