Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best deal or is there something cheaper? >

Best deal or is there something cheaper?

Best deal or is there something cheaper?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 AM

With your discount, it'd probably be hard to do better. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:34 AM

i have a 50% coupon for joann's. if anyone wants it, pm me and i can email to you. i don't know any other way to send it. there'a also a 40% that goes with it.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 AM

I'd just watch for the quality of the fabric. I bought one of Walmarts bolts of muslin and when I went to use it I noticed it was so thin you could see thru it. I'll use it on a design wall or to practice on but not in a quilt. It's a good price if the quality is there. See if they have the same brand in the store where you can see it.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg
I'd just watch for the quality of the fabric. I bought one of Walmarts bolts of muslin and when I went to use it I noticed it was so thin you could see thru it. I'll use it on a design wall or to practice on but not in a quilt. It's a good price if the quality is there. See if they have the same brand in the store where you can see it.

There are differences within a given brand name, too.

Buy a muslin sheet - you can probably get a fairly good idea of what it's like - wash it in hot water - and you are good to go.

No big deal. Probably less $ than buying yardage. If you are extremely frugal, unsew the hems on both ends and that you will have more usable fabric.

I do not know if the measurements on the package are the cut size or finished size of the sheet.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm not getting to Joann's anytime soon as the nearest one is an hour away and my boyfriend takes me to quilt shops as I don't drive...and right now having him drive two hours up here and driving another hour to get to La Crosse is unrealistic. So I bought the Wal-Mart fabric online.

If its really not suitable I can always use it for practice projects. But I think it would have to be incredibly horrible to not be used in the wallhangings since the muslin is not going to be visable once all the stained glass applique is put on top of it and the wallhangings are not going to be used like a quilt. Ah heck...I'll probably have about a yard or so of leftovers anyways to use for practice stuff.