Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Check your Layer Cakes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/check-your-layer-cakes-t236223.html)

tessagin 12-09-2013 10:20 AM

Last 3 orders for pre-cuts were off from 1/2" to almost an inch. Sent them back and got refund. Never again.

QuiltedCello 12-09-2013 10:22 AM

The only precuts I'll buy are the Moda hexes. I'm too lazy (I'll admit it) to cut out hexes, and Moda has been consistantly nice quality, so it's worth the cost. Anything else, they are too expensive for straight cuts!

Gladys 12-09-2013 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by celwood (Post 6445064)
I think you should take the time and write to the manufacturing company. I recently had a problem with Moda's Bella line and wrote to United Notions, their parent company. I was very surprised that they answered my e-mail within 48 hours and explained what the problem could be. They even said that they were going to bring up the problem with the their technical people. Nothing can be fixed if the companies don't know about the problem. This problem with measurement should certainly be brought up

This is a great thread. I've never had a problem with any pre-cuts I've bought but agree with the quoted post above. Thanks everyone. I've learned a lot today.

ComeAndSew 12-09-2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MamaDonna (Post 6448012)
FYI: I was at a very well known KS quilt shop and mentioned this to the owner. She asked if I had gotten "extra" (usually 42 , 10" in a layer cakes" she stated that sometimes the manufacturer will give an extra print when they come to the end of a bolt and they know the measurements may not have been true.. I did not count my layer cake as I had already used it, but that is something to keep in mind the next time.

Thanks for the info, Soo is it the end of the bolt where the problem happens? In which case they should not be sold at normal price, they are seconds then..? Quite frankly getting extra is not the point anyway- mine did not come with any extra, anyway. The point is you don't want to cut your 10" Squares when you have a pattern for 10" squares, not only does it throw out the pattern, but each square has to be trimmed down which defeats the whole object of time saving pre cuts.

Can I add I have a moda LC and Jelly roll that are perfect, so please don't lets get put off by pre cuts, they are great when they are right, the amount of coordinating fabrics are brilliant. Just please can manufacturers get it right and not " diddle" us. That's all I ask...please....

Piper 12-09-2013 12:38 PM

I buy most of my precuts from Missouri Star Quilt Co. I have trouble about 50% of the time with them being cut a bit "off". BUT . . . I do not blame MSQC. They are the seller, not the manufacturer. The don't have any control over the quality of these fabrics, they just sell them. So I complain directly to the manufacturer, not the store I purchased them from (though I do let the store know, so they can have a heads up).

As for the value of a precut - they might cost more if you figure it out at a per yard price, but for me, they save me money because I have a habit of over-buying when it comes to yardage. So in the long run, I save money with precuts because I use exactly what is in the pack without all the extra, wasted amount I buy with yardage, but don't actually use. :)

QuiltingHaven 12-09-2013 01:48 PM

Okay, I have only been quilting 3 years and love this board. I have learned so much from all of you great quilters. I have bought layer cakes (great material, some smaller than 10 inches), charm packs (again, well some were great and some not - Walmart ones were good) but here is what I have learned. When I finish a quilt, I take some of the left-over materials, make a few charm squares, a couple of layer cakes, and some jelly strips then when I start on a quilt, i have some fabrics ready to go. When my granddaughter came, she designed her quilt extra blocks using Grandma's stash of pre-cut fabrics. And when I see a jelly roll or a layer cake or a charm pack, I will buy what I need knowing that they may not be perfect.

Marysewfun 12-09-2013 05:29 PM

I have bought fat quarters - and I wash them before I use them and they come out varying sizes due to shrinkage - but I just kind of go with the flow. Also I have bought packages of fat quarters because I am still learning how to put colors/patterns together - but then I am also still building my stash. I find that I cut the charm squares or less than I need from yardage and have learned to look at 1/2 yds or so.

Marysewfun

Marysewfun 12-09-2013 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 6447888)
Is it me, or do precuts actually work out more expensive than buying yardage in the amounts needed? Kind of like buying skim milk or decaf coffee...the more you "do" something to an item, the more expensive it gets.

Anita

I have thought that too - but then in the trade off for a new quilter like me trying to build stash and have something to draw from when I later see a pattern on the internet - - for me it has been great to buy some fat quarters because I am not sure until later what the fabric may look good in - and sometimes I wish I had bought more and sometimes I am glad that was all I bought of that one!! :-)

Marysewfun

tuckyquilter 12-09-2013 06:16 PM

I ran into that with Fat Qtrs several years ago. I only buy a Fat Qtr IF I need a specific color/hue for use in my scrap quilts and measure each one. Have found even the 'reputable' dealers lacking in full inches on their cuts. Buying yardage is the best thing, even if you have to buy a full yard. Put the remainder in your stash.

mjhaess 12-10-2013 08:02 AM

I have bought a lot of 5" charms that were the same way....