Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Check your Layer Cakes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/check-your-layer-cakes-t236223.html)

happyquiltmom 12-08-2013 04:46 AM

I don't like precuts because of the pinked edges...too hard to get an accurate seam allowance. Besides, I like choosing my own coordinating fabrics for a particular project.

Daylesewblessed 12-08-2013 05:06 AM

I don't like pre-cuts because of the extra time it takes to pre-wash them. Add that issue to the additional price and the chance of bad cuts, and it just isn't worth it to me.

juliea9967 12-08-2013 06:16 AM

I use precuts a lot because I do like the variety of go-together fabrics and colors in them. I don't think I have ever got a perfectly cut package. I also have never got a perfectly squared panel. It really is the "nature of the game" with fabric, and until the fabric companies start using die cutting or laser cutting machines, that is just the way it is. To my knowledge none of the fabric companies are doing this - all the fabric is being hand cut. However, I have heard that Hoffman has bought a die cutting machine and will start using it soon for all their precuts. I heard that about a year ago from a fabric rep at my LQS, but I haven't seen any results yet. I am still waiting though. . . .
Also, I have read and been told that you should never prewash precuts.

duckydo 12-08-2013 06:35 AM

I purchased a layer cake pack from MSQC and I notified them and they offer to replace, they told me they were aware of the problem and were working with the company that does the pre cuts. Hope it is corrected, because we are getting cheated if they are not a true size

Weezy Rider 12-08-2013 06:50 AM

I forget which maker of batik precuts finally put out a notice that the cuts might not be even. My friend was looking at the Batik jelly rolls, and told me she saw the notice. I don't know if the store put it up or it was on the package. If it WAS on the package, that's good. If you know the pieces are off, you can cut yardage to match and no problem. I bought a roll and most were 1/8 off, which was just enough to mess up a pattern if you cut the other pieces from yardage which I did.

The precuts do look attractive in the rolls or packages, but after I open the package I find many I can't use. There might be 5 different varieties of one color in the pack, but mixing a grayish or magenta hued blue in with a true blue looks off depending on the pattern. I prefer colors to have the same values. If I'm using a warm brown, I prefer all the other colors on the warm side. I like Southwestern colors, and even if the design is made for blues, batiks, whatever, I'll change the colors. My idea of what goes, and the designer's idea are two different things. I'd think nothing of using a Civil War pattern in southwestern colors. That's why we quilt, isn't it?

No more precuts. I only had 3 jelly rolls so I gave most of them to a friend. I'll pick yardage to my taste and often it isn't even the same line of fabric.

Dar-midlife 12-08-2013 06:50 AM

Oh yes! Sad but true. I have had this happen more than once. We all need to let the companies know. I have written moda and another one-can't remember. Moda wrote back like they were totally shocked! NOT so please let the companies know. We pay a premium price for precuts and I think they should be accurate.

feffertim 12-08-2013 08:57 AM

That has happened to me all the time. Was very surprised the first time, but not any more. I always trim them now before using, even if I end up with 9 1/2 squares. At least they are even. Rarely buy pre cuts now for that reason.

quiltmau 12-08-2013 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ComeAndSew (Post 6443358)

Just wanted to shout out, check your 10" layer cakes before joining, I've had 3 lots that are short and wonky, I can't be that unlucky so.... I did get another lot sent out and it was the same, whole pack 1/2 " short. Not time saving then. I do have 2 perfect packs thank goodness! I have only bought 5 in total.

Pre cuts are great when they are true... Have cut them to 9" now..

doing the envelope square from MSQC and my pre-cut layer cakes were not the same size. Had to cut them down. Was very upset as I was in a time crunch and wanted a fast top. I think the fabric manufactures are in too big a hurry and using too many short cuts.

JoanneS 12-08-2013 02:00 PM

I've only bought precut strips at Quilt Shows. That way, I can actually look at the colors. I should probably carry a small ruler to check out the measurements now that I've read this thread!
I have an Accuquilt Go and cut my own charm squares and strips when I'm using a pattern that calls for them, though that means I'm not getting 1 piece of every fabric in a collection. I trust my own color choices and work from my stash - which will outlive me!

Tiggersmom 12-08-2013 04:46 PM

I agree Holice. The quilt store or online company has no control, but they too should know what companies are not cutting correctly.

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 6443548)
do any of you complain directly to the company that makes them. Only way to correct the problem and you might even get a replacement.