Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Check your Layer Cakes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/check-your-layer-cakes-t236223.html)

0tis 12-07-2013 02:25 PM

I have purchased many pre-cuts - I consider myself the pre-cut queen - I have never had any trouble with my pre-cuts - I only purchase Moda, Kaufman and Riley Blake pre-cuts - I am leary of the Walmart pre-cuts but have bought them in the past too. I like the convenience and having the whole collection - I always get compliments on how well I use color - so that is my secret - I use pre-cuts - all the fabrics coordinate. Also, I try to buy when I get a good deal - I have several sites I check and look for savings codes, etc - rarely do I pay full price

RST 12-07-2013 03:31 PM

I've never had problems with Moda precuts. But the Benartex charm precuts I got from Missouri Star quilt co were a mess -- wrinkled fabric translating to irregular cuts, a whole bunch of 1 and 2 inch strips mixed in, a the zigzag cut was so wide that the actual usable portion of fabric was about 4.5 inches. However, the pack which was supposed to have 42 pieces actually had 60, and I only paid $1.99 on one of their daily specials, so I let it slide. I will be cautious about purchasing precuts from that company in the future, based on my experience.

plainpat 12-07-2013 04:19 PM

It's been a while since I did any sewing.Have several pre cuts waiting to be used,but needed a baby print for a crib quilt.My fav has always been Moda & ordered 3 packs of Moda charms from a company I had bought from before.

Talk about being surprised.:rolleyes: They are wonky for sure.If I pin 2 sqs together,the opposite side will be short.Really don't know how this quilt is going to turn out. Doubt I will use pre cuts again.

caroloto 12-07-2013 06:20 PM

I think with any pre-cuts including fat quarter unless they are done/cut by the LQS many are off size. I can not tell you how many times over the pass years, yes years once the manufacting was sent overseas, I have gotten uneven, mis-cut and/or wrong inches. These are done at the manufactors, the store/shop has no idea they are off most of the time what is under the first couple of squares or unless they unfold each or open up, measure and look at each pre-cut in the group.

And yes I have gotten fat quarters many times that I'm sure where cut from the middle of the fabric, there was no savage.

Jingle 12-07-2013 06:37 PM

I don't buy precuts. I have made quilts that call for them, so I cut my own.

rebeljane 12-07-2013 11:50 PM

I have bought Moda charm packs that were not the correct size. I complained to the Company and got them replaced. If they don't know about a problem they can't fix it!

QuiltingCrazie 12-08-2013 02:47 AM

I've been fairly lucky! I usually only buy moda....charm packs I buy to get a look at each print, they are usually used for appliqués. I've used several layer cakes and jelly rolls with no issue. Glad to see moda is great and replaces! I don't have access to quilt shops so I go with quality. Just please remember it's not the shops fault, it's the manufactures fault. I hate to see a shop lose business because of something not their fault....we're losing enough stores to the economy issues

ComeAndSew 12-08-2013 03:56 AM

Lots of interesting comments, agree shop is not at fault but they have to accept responsibility, as I say they sent me another pack and it was just the same! Maybe shops need to check them before posting out...

I have never bought from Walmart. Mine are also well known brands. I love idea of pre-cuts, I'd just like them to be consistent, we pay more for the luxury after all.

celwood 12-08-2013 04:05 AM

I think you should take the time and write to the manufacturing company. I recently had a problem with Moda's Bella line and wrote to United Notions, their parent company. I was very surprised that they answered my e-mail within 48 hours and explained what the problem could be. They even said that they were going to bring up the problem with the their technical people. Nothing can be fixed if the companies don't know about the problem. This problem with measurement should certainly be brought up

lclang 12-08-2013 04:41 AM

There are several patterns on the Missouri Star Quilt Company that will use any size square. For what layer cakes cost, I would square them up and adapt them for one of those patterns so they will not be wasted money. I made the Big Star quilt from MSQC in Christmas colors and it is beautiful. The10 minute quilt block from Suzzanne (somebody) would also work with any size block. It's kind of a lost savings to have to recut them but better than throwing them out;.