Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chemo quilt size? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chemo-quilt-size-t301360.html)

PS Stitcher 12-07-2018 04:57 AM

Unfortunately, I too have had this experience. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 40. My quilt was about a generous lap or small twin. It was large enough to go from my chin to cover my feet. The chemo drugs aren't warmed before you get them and you can get so cold!! But my infusion center did not have any restrictions. They said I could bring whatever I wanted that would make me happy!! A bag is a great idea to carry it in!! And then you can put your stitching in it as well. I would sit and bind quilts during my 6 hour chemo sessions. So I was doubly warm!! :)

Next month is 4 years cancer free for me!!

QuiltE 12-07-2018 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 8172166)
......The infusion chairs are generally recliner type chairs and you don't want to get things caught in the gears etc. when reclining the chair or getting up to move around.........

So sorry that you had to go through this, and do hope that you are improving all the time.

What you have described is why some have put requirements in place.
Probably, at some point an oversized quilt got caught ... and well, you can see what may have happened.
Or someone just went overboard in panic mode, before it did.
Maybe a case of the one apple spoiling the whole bunch? :)

Quiltah Mama 12-07-2018 11:00 AM

I just joined this forum last month, and have been doing a lot of reading and have learned a lot of tips and tricks. When I got to this thread I just had to respond though. I have been making charity chemo quilts for a local organization for three years now. They do not have any restrictions on size, however, I have gotten really good feedback from them that a good size that works well for the patient and staff is 44x60 inches. I have been making that size since. I also back all of mine with either flannel or fleece for the added warmth and comfort. And I do make a carry bag for each one too.

Belfrybat 12-07-2018 01:03 PM

Thank you all for your responses! What I'm hearing is long and narrow, so I think I'll aim for 40 x 65 so someone can cover from head to toe if they want. I hadn't thought about a bag, so many thanks for that idea. Now to get busy!

ctrysass2012 12-07-2018 08:25 PM

I used a layer cake to make a quilt for a cousin. 6 across x 7 rows plus added a border on top & bottom & narrow on the sides to make sure it covered head to toe. If she wants to dble it it is possible or there is room for her to snuggle with grandkids. A couple of other cousins delivered it after I left MI & said she really liked it 7 it is keeping her warm.

Irishrose2 12-08-2018 08:10 AM

Our church group makes our prayer quilts about 45x54 or 58. Any bigger and they become difficult for the recipient to deal with. I think 45 was chosen originally as it was the width of fabric and made backing the quilt easier. The ones I make at home end up 48 by 60, which feels better to me.

dharen7 12-08-2018 09:22 AM

My cousins bought me a real cute electric fuzzy heated throw. Wasn't allowed to use it, so only covered up in it when I got home from Chemo. They kept bringing me the heated blankets that they keep in the warmer. Three years cancer free. My husband will be two years cancer free in January.