Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chicken Scratch Embroidery on gingham (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chicken-scratch-embroidery-gingham-t649.html)

Yvonne 01-30-2010 04:50 PM

Don't look too hard for a CS quilt from me. It's still a few eons away. :lol: Other quilt ideas keep getting in the way but it's still on my "to do someday" list. I have fabric and patterns so it could happen anytime now! Ha!

Baywatch quilter 01-31-2010 10:31 AM

My sister has done a number of chicken scratch pieces for tablecloths... Her original pattern came from a magazine. Don't know if that's any help.

mic-pa 01-31-2010 02:42 PM

I did chicken scratch years ago, enjoyed doing it. It is also called Tenneriffe (sp) I still have a couple of books tucked away some where. I fogot to mention, when you buy the gingham make sure the squares are perfect squares. Everyonce in a while you can get some that is not square and it will throw the whole design off

watterstide 01-31-2010 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine...

Chicken scratch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61845[/ATTACH]

earthwalker 01-31-2010 04:06 PM

The title of this post intrigued me...had no clue what Chicken Scratch was at all, 'til I saw the pic! You may find some patterns if you google the following: Teneriffe Embroidery, Norwegian Embroidery, Amish Embroidery and Snowflake Embroidery - All alternate names for Chicken Scratch! I remember being taught this in school, I know it as Teneriffe...thanks for the post...and for getting my old grey matter working!

astitch 02-01-2010 11:44 AM

Thank you all for your quick responses and helpful information. I will keep you in touch with my progress. At the moment I am making a quilt with a class locally. This is my first proper instruction in patchwork and quilting and I am finding it very interesting. In the past I have generaly made small items with the exception of Grandmothers Garden throws which I have really enjoyed making. I am basically a hand sewing person and to work with a machine is enlightning as well as faster. All of you take care and keep sewing.

wanda1824 03-09-2010 06:27 PM

Many years ago I did chicken scratch also. I don't believe I have ever seen this pattern. I would love a copy if you would be interested in passing it on. I just recently bought gingham with the intentions of making a quilt with different patterns. After seeing this I would love to make a quilt with just this one pattern.

watterstide 03-10-2010 03:28 AM

you could just use paper with grid marks and figure it out.there are sites that have free grid paper you can print out. it is the stitches that would cause me to need a pattern..try the library to see what they have!

sewcrafty 03-10-2010 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Judyjo,
Thank you so much. I think I'm all set though. I went back to the pegasus web site and they referred me to an online store in Washington and I just ordered three books this morning. :P

I actually found my very old (at least 20 years) pattern book yesterday and one completed block. Of course now my sewing room is topsy-turvey from all the hunting! Funny how I get a bee in my bonnet and it just starts buzzing around and makes me nuts!

I visited JoAnn's this morning and have my gingham all purchased and ready to go. Just waiting for the postman!

Here's the block I made about 20 years ago. Good as the day I made it. :lol:

That is soooooooooo nice! I absolutely love handwork! :thumbup: I hope whoever you're doing this for will appreciate all this work!!!!

hsquiltingmom 03-12-2010 07:50 AM

Wow. I didn't know what this was called. A long time ago I made a tablecloth with using this type of embroidery. I don't know whatever happened to it. I did it when I was in my teens, and who knows, it may have been given away. Anyway, this is something that I would like to do again.