Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chubby Chick Quilt trying to kill me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chubby-chick-quilt-trying-kill-me-t62586.html)

reevesfarm 09-01-2010 04:38 PM

Oopsy...this photo is not mine, it is a stock photo for that pattern...sorry. I included it hoping that it would clarify my issue.

I vaguely remembered reading a comment about this part of the pattern and the person said something about them being set in "prairie point"

I have no idea what that means.

So far I have joined 8 of the 32...I started sewing the bottom 1/2 inch that I am having trouble with first...if it is lined up properly then I sew the rest...if not then I only have to rip/curse through 1/2 inch.

this is the first thing in quilting that I am finding that I truly dislike....sad. Time for wine and tomorrow is another day.

reevesfarm 09-01-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Which points are getting cut off??? The little green ones on the side? How did you make the FG? I pp mine, especailly when I'm making long runs for borders. When I do them that way I always have perfect points on each one.
Can you post a pic of what is happening? The quilt is darling and the FG will be sooo cute!!

After the birds there are 3 borders, solid cream, flying geese, then solid green.

For the FG they had me cut 3.5 inch green squares and 3.5X6.5 inch rectangles...I put a square on the end, sewed a diagonal line and cut the excess...lather, rinse repeat....

By PP do you mean Prairie Point?

So much to learn...

Lady Tapioca 09-01-2010 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by reevesfarm

By PP do you mean Prairie Point?

So much to learn...

PP usually means "paper pieced". That is how I do them too, if
I have to make a lot. She's right - that method is very accurate

Edited to add: Forgot to say how much I like that quilt!

MaryAnna 09-01-2010 05:33 PM

I love it! Your quilt is just perfect, I can't see any issues! Love it the chicks are soooo cute, the fabrics are wonderful.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

thismomquilts 09-01-2010 06:07 PM

LOVE this quilt... is it an original of yours? I'd love to have the pattern if I can?

Daisygirl 09-01-2010 06:15 PM

Love the quilt, Very cute

justwannaquilt 09-01-2010 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by reevesfarm
Oopsy...this photo is not mine, it is a stock photo for that pattern...sorry. I included it hoping that it would clarify my issue.

I vaguely remembered reading a comment about this part of the pattern and the person said something about them being set in "prairie point"

I have no idea what that means.

So far I have joined 8 of the 32...I started sewing the bottom 1/2 inch that I am having trouble with first...if it is lined up properly then I sew the rest...if not then I only have to rip/curse through 1/2 inch.

this is the first thing in quilting that I am finding that I truly dislike....sad. Time for wine and tomorrow is another day.

Prairie points are folded squares of fabric to make triangles and they are normally more of a 3d type they are only sewn on the long straight "bottom" edge, everything else is loose. I would have however used half square triangles instead of the flying geese since you were already making them for the pinwheels! but then again thats just me I am a little lazy and know that I can sew two HST at a time, instead of having to sew one "flying goose" twice!

wvdek 09-01-2010 06:24 PM

Will be a cute quilt when completed.

sandpat 09-01-2010 06:25 PM

Yes Reeves...Flying geese and Praire Points are 2 totally different things. FG are usually stacked 1 on top of another when used in borders. Praire Points are usually attached to the outside edge of the quilt by sewing them together side by side (after folding the triangles), then you sew the "bottom edge" to the outside edge of the quilt. You might want to use the "search" feature on this board for the Praire Points to see what we are talking about.

Figuring out which of these you need to do will help us sort it out with you..:D:

annette1952 09-01-2010 06:25 PM

Love your quilt! The chubby chicks are just adorable!