Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chunky binding. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chunky-binding-t322395.html)

bearisgray 02-02-2024 04:13 PM

From the video I watched, it just seemed to be how to apply a wider than "usual" binding.

i thought it would be something like a stuffed crust pizza wirh a thick edge almost like it had thick cording in it.

Onebyone 02-02-2024 11:33 PM

My favorite binding for when I have a wide border. I cut 6 inch strips, fold in half, sew on and turn and then have a wide binding on the front. It makes an instant frame around the quilt. Mitering wider binding is a breeze. Each corner is perfect. My last quilt I made a rag binding. Sewed the folded edge to quilt, turned the raw edges to the front and machine stitched close to the edge of the quilt. The raw edges ragged in the wash. I trimmed and snipped as needed. I had raw edge machine applique on the quilt so it looked nice to have a binding raw edged. I'm always trying out new ways to do binding.

paddingtonbear 02-03-2024 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8634801)
From the video I watched, it just seemed to be how to apply a wider than "usual" binding.

i thought it would be something like a stuffed crust pizza wirh a thick edge almost like it had thick cording in it.

if you look at the video I posted in post 10 at 6 mins 20 seconds you will see they are referring to putting extra filling to the binding to make it chunky - just like a stuffed crust pizza.

quiltsfor 02-03-2024 04:21 AM

I never leave any part of my binding 'empty' I match my binding edge up with the back edge of my quilt and sew it down. Then fold it around to the front of the quilt, pulling it snugly around the edge, so that the quilt completely fills the binding strip. So I guess I've always had 'chunky' binding!

I also always make a wide binding. I think they set off the quilt so much better, IMO.

aashley333 02-03-2024 05:30 AM

I recently watched a video that showed the seamstress placing binding about 1/8" away from edge to stitch. So, I cut 2 1/4" wide binding and tried it, and it turned out great. I stitched 1/2" away from edge.

paddingtonbear 02-03-2024 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor (Post 8634880)
I never leave any part of my binding 'empty' I match my binding edge up with the back edge of my quilt and sew it down. Then fold it around to the front of the quilt, pulling it snugly around the edge, so that the quilt completely fills the binding strip. So I guess I've always had 'chunky' binding!

I also always make a wide binding. I think they set off the quilt so much better, IMO.

The idea of a chunky binding is to double the width of the batting that goes into the binding and keep the binding width the same. So you end up with an extra fat binding.

grannie cheechee 02-03-2024 05:45 PM

From what I understand, if you are entering in a judged show, the judge definitely looks and even will feel the binding.
They want it filled not just fabric. Be sure to blind stitch the mitered corners also. I've never entered a quilt in a show,
but I've done the bindings on a lot that were. The judges never said the bindings weren't up to the their standards.

Onebyone 02-04-2024 08:41 AM

I have seen many award winning quilts at Paducah, Houston, and other big shows. Over the last few years at lof otf the big award winners don't have a traditional binding anymore. Innovation and creativity seems to be what the judges look for along with good sewing skills.

Anniedeb 02-04-2024 09:40 PM

I like my binding full. When I cut off the excess, after everything is quilted, I trim and leave a scant 1/4" of batting and backing. I used a 2-1/2" binding. Sew to the front, using 1/4" seam with binding edge lined up with the top edge, then flip to back and hand stitch down. Binding is always nice and full feeling.

stitch678 02-09-2024 04:01 PM

I leave 1/4" of batting and backing around my quilts. I square my tops and edge stitch them before loading on my longarm frame. I baste the top close to that staystitching and down the sides using channel locks. As l advance, l baste the sides with channel locks. If there is fullnes or it stats to skew, l spray with water and starch and allow it to dry. Sometimes l bring out my travel steam iron to speed up the process. My quilts are dead square coming off the frame...so trimming 1/4" away is no problem. I love a round firm binding, and l never lose points!