Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chunky binding. >

Chunky binding.

Chunky binding.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:38 AM

Default Chunky binding.

I saw a youtube today about bindings where they said you should leave 1/4 inch of batting poking out passed the quilt top and the quilt bottom so you can get a chunky binding. I usually cut my quilt sandwich (after I've quilted it) with a rotary cutter through all the layers.

I can't work out how you would cut the top and bottom evenly (using scissors ends up a mess for me) while leaving 1/4 inches of batting. Does anyone make chunky bindings? What method do you use?
Old 02-02-2024, 03:57 AM

I typically use a ruler and rotary cutter to trim my quilt after quilting, I also use 2.25 in binding as I find that my binding is fuller and thus no need to leave the additional 1/4 inch batting around the edge to achieve the fuller binding.
On occasion if I do need more to get a fuller binding, I simply use the ruler and a seam somewhere near the edge and line up my ruler accordingly.
I can’t imagine using scissors to square up a quilt, that would be challenging!
Old 02-02-2024, 04:33 AM

I could not think of any reason for adding a binding like you mentioned so....I searched and watched a youtube about "Chunky Binding" and it is a design feature that turns the binding into more of a wider frame around the quilt. This presenter explained why she might leave the batting longer but it is only when the chunky binding might impact the pattern on the front of the quilt. In the demonstration she used a traditional well squared up quilt sandwich and moved the binding about one inch in on the quilt. Sound confusing? Here is the link to what I watched. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lea_zNEXu5s

I might try this if it would enhance the quilt and not detract. It could be an interesting addition.
Old 02-02-2024, 04:44 AM

I believe usual judging criteria for competition quilts is for the binding to be "full" -- I haven't heard it called chunky. I typically use a wider binding than most and like Tallchick trim my border and backing together with my rotary cutter and ruler after the quilting is done, I already have the binding sewn on the front as well. I think I usually cut my binding at 2.5" and trim to 1/2" above the seam line but it's been awhile since I either finished a quilt or made binding The binding is my last chance to add color or fabric to the quilt, and I love the effect you get from using stripes when you make continuous bias binding.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:39 AM

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what difference would it make if your fabric went all the way to the edge (same width as batting) or was cut 1/4" short? It's all inside the binding, so who can tell if the fabric is shorter?

I agree, I love striped, bias binding, Iceblossom.

bkay
Old 02-02-2024, 05:46 AM

I always use my walking foot to place stitching 1/4" from the edge of my squared up quilt and sew my binding right along that line, fold over and stitch it down. It does make a fuller binding, but wouldn't call it chunky.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:26 AM

Probably the most important part there is not having the insides of the binding rubbing against each other and wearing out. Where you put it should only matter if you don't want to give up the 1/4" or 3/8" (for my walking foot) off of the quilt top. Actually, it might be more because you might be overlapping the first stitching line when machine sewing it on.

Unless I'm not understanding the question. It doesn't seem hard to keep extra batting/fabric at the quilt edge - you have to trim it somewhere - and sometimes I have left too much and have to trim with small scissors as I go.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 02-02-2024, 06:55 AM

I always leave a "tad" of batting showing past the top of the quilt. to fill the binding. not making it chunky though.....
Old 02-02-2024, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I have done exactly that. I like a binding that's wider than 1/4". If the points in my quilt top are 1/4" from the edge, they would be cut off if I cut the backing and batting even with the quilt top and then sewed a 3/8" or wider seam to attach the binding. So I cut the batting and backing (with the rotary cutter and a ruler) a bit away from the quilt top to preserve the points.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:53 PM

I think everyone has helped work this out for me. It’s not about a wide binding but a thick binding regardless of how wide it is. You need to have more batting than the width of the binding. But for me I’ll have to have more of the entire sandwich.

See this YouTube at the 6:20 min point.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...RLOl5z9wran6Mv

Say I want a 3/8 inch finished binding
I want my quilt to finish 1/4 inch in from (to the left of) the edge of my quilt top (the problem is mine is always a bit uneven by the time I’ve basted and quilted it unlike the quilt in the video) so I need to mark that 1/4 inch line on the quilt and cut the whole sandwich 1/2 an inch from my 1/4 finished line. Then I sew my 1 and 3/8 inch binding onto the front of the quilt 1/2 an inch from the edge of the rotary cut sandwich but with a 1/4 inch seam.

Then I pull it around to the back and sew it on pulling it tight so it ends up puffier than the usual 1/4 inch seam and sandwich would give you. I might have to adjust the width of my binding strip a tiny bit. I’ll have to experiment. Thank you!

Last edited by paddingtonbear; 02-02-2024 at 12:56 PM.