Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Classes at Craftsy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/classes-craftsy-t246274.html)

franc36 05-04-2014 02:43 PM

I know I am addicted to Craftsy. I have taken 51 classes. Almost all of them are quilting classes. When I started quilting 4 years ago, I knew nothing about how to quilt. I signed up for Jenny Doan's "Quilting Quickly" and I was hooked. I love the Craftsy format. I work on most of my classes at night; but when working on a free motion quilting class, I put my iPad on a stand so that I can watch the instructor as I try to do what she is doing. I have learned so much from the classes. Some of the classes I watch over and over. At the moment, I am doing a Craftsy Workshop making the May Mystery Quilt using Downton Abby fabric. If I had seen what the quilt looked like prior to signing up, I would have taken one look and said, "That quilt is too difficult." Since I paid for the fabric and workshop, I will make the quilt, learn new skills, and be proud of myself for making the quilt. Oh, I always get the classes on sale. I refuse to pay more than $19.99 for a class. Some classes, I have waited two years to get the reduced price. I learned so much from the Craftsy 2012 and 2013 BOM classes which were free classes. Also, I love the instructors and feel as though many of them are personal friends. Thanks to Craftsy classes and the Quilting Board, I now consider myself a pretty good quilter making an average of 3 quilts a month.

Dolphyngyrl 05-04-2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Preeti (Post 6703631)
I have so far used a free pattern at Craftsy to make a quilt. I am considering taking an online class. Have you taken a quilting class at Craftsy? What class did you take? Would you recommend it?

Love all the classes I have taken, Ann Peterson is my fave, and love Amanda Murphy as well

almond 05-04-2014 03:18 PM

I love all the classes I have taken. The embroidery classes are my favorite.

malindaann 05-04-2014 03:23 PM

if you like their facebook page you get even more offers for discounted classes. I signed up for Mimi Dietrich's Finishing School on binding quilts and it is awesome. I have several others that were worth the cost -- all purchased on sale.

LadyElisabeth 05-04-2014 04:27 PM

Thanks for this thread. I have considered taking their classes but wasn't sure about them.

carolaug 05-04-2014 06:10 PM

I also loved Ann Patterson and Cindy Needham. The paper piece classes are really good, but I have not made any yet. I will someday. That is what I like best..you can always go back and watch when you are ready. I took a few knitting classes also...another thing on my bucket list. The Free knife class was AWESOME!

Onebyone 05-04-2014 09:04 PM

Like Franc36 I started Craftsy as soon as it was launched. I doubt there is a quilting class I haven't bought. I do cooking classes too which are fantastic. I like the quilting workshops too. You can buy a kit that has everything you need. I still like to take physical classes and workshops, I don't want to be isolated to a computer all the time. I have learned so much taking the classes from Craftsy.

sewbeadit 05-05-2014 03:11 AM

I like the classes I have taken, even though it is hard for me to sit down and watch them on the computer I would rather be quilting! Onebyone mentioned she didn't want to be isolated to the computer so she takes classes elsewhere as well, which is wonderful. I like Craftsy for that very reason I am isolated and it lets me take classes I would never ever get too. So works for everyone. I also only buy when on sale.

sewbelle52 05-05-2014 03:42 AM

Help! I love the craftsy classes too but my computer has trouble loading them so it's a stop-start process that drives me nuts! What's wrong? What can I do to fix it?

Jo Cypher 05-05-2014 04:28 AM

I love Craftsy classes. I have quilting, sewing, knitting and crochet. Customer service is awesome. I don't know if Hi will make the patterns from my sewing classes but I really enjoy watching them. I have lots of paid classes but their Free classes are good, also.