Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Classes? what classes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/classes-what-classes-t264900.html)

tessagin 05-08-2015 09:01 AM

I've been playing around with my 401 and most of the quilts I'm working on with little progress have sashing so I'm playing with the QAYG. Can't afford any long arms and don't have the space. playing with some hand quilting also.

Rennie 05-08-2015 12:29 PM

I went to classes the first time I bought my sew/embroidery machine - but since then I have utilized the internet. I agree - between working and other home responsibilities, I have no time to lug a machine somewhere when I can do it at midnight with all my equipment where I need it.

quiltingcandy 05-09-2015 08:27 PM

I learned to sew when I was 8 years old. It was a Singer 15-91 in the cabinet. I had to take home-ec in Jr. and Sr. High - both classes did not teach me any more than I already knew. I had a 1973 Singer - let's say it was nothing but frustration and I quit sewing for 20+ years and bought a used Singer that I believe was a 301 - it was a work horse! But I didn't even have a manual for it. And I was able to sew just fine. The in 20010 I bought my Janome MC6600P - it had so much more than I was used to so decided to take the beginners class they offered. It was nice to meet the other folks and the machines they had and I learned to do the fancy stitches and various other things the machine would do. (I swear it would wash clothes if I let it - it just seemed to do so much more than my other machines.) And then I was taking my FW in to have it serviced - and ended up buying my Husqvarna Topaz 20. It was low-end to them but for me it was the perfect price and did magic when the embroidery hoop was attached. So I did take the class so that I learned to do it right. But it turned out they were more interested in teaching me how to use the sewing part of the machine and I was more interested in the embroidery part so never went back and got most information by trial and error and the internet. I do love my machines - they are so much fun.

Toni C 05-10-2015 05:36 AM

I went to the classes (first time going) and really liked it BUT I really got allot more from the Youtube watching more than once. Guess I'm dense as I probably forgot a bunch in the 2 classes LOL
Toni

mjpEncinitas 05-10-2015 05:53 AM

Like many people who responded I'm more interested in technique classes than project classes. There are many advantages to doing technique classes on the web. For example with craftsy classes you can repeat sections of the class as many times as you need. You can skip sections of the class that you are already familiar with. You can do it at a convenient time. Classes are cheaper. You usually have extraordinary teachers who are really experts in their field.

The disadvantages are that your questions don't get answered immediately and their is no social interaction.

I believe for a LQS class to be successful you need to be very good at what the online class is not good at. IF the classes provide good social interaction and the teachers are knowledgeable that is helpful.

I haven't found any classes at the LQS that I'm interested in but I would like to try the social sewing classes. The classes where you bring your own project and can get help from others would be good. Maybe its hard to offer classes for intermediate quilters that don't have too much repeat in them.

Sorry not to helpful but these posts did make me think.