Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Classes? what classes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/classes-what-classes-t264900.html)

MargeD 05-07-2015 09:43 AM

I agree with DebraK, as I started out as basically a self-taught quilter; however, whenever I have taken any quilt classes, I always come away with a new technique or method to improve my quilting. Couldn't hurt!!

madamekelly 05-07-2015 02:26 PM

I bought a computer that came with "How to use it" classes that were cancelled, then bought a fancy quilting machine with " How to use it classes" and the dealer quit selling the brand I bought, so no classes there either. Unfortunately this means offering free classes to sell me something is never going to work again! Thank heavens for Youtube!

Linda1 05-07-2015 03:43 PM

I am retired and there still are not enough hours to do the things I would like to do.

bakermom 05-07-2015 04:47 PM

One of several reasons I bought my TOL embroidery machine online, besides price was that I knew a nearly 2 hr. round trip, plus class time would not fit in my life with a family, full-time job and elderly parents. I am pretty self-confident and had the thing up and running within 1/2 hour of delivery. I'm sure I would have learned from the classes but I've done quite well on my own

sewingstash 05-07-2015 05:21 PM

I like Youtube & Craftsy and also enjoy them a lot. great fun!

ccthomas 05-07-2015 05:32 PM

Having purchased an expensive machine, I know I don't like having to pay additional money to learn how to use the machine feet, etc. I refuse to do this.

matraina 05-07-2015 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ccthomas (Post 7189506)
Having purchased an expensive machine, I know I don't like having to pay additional money to learn how to use the machine feet, etc. I refuse to do this.

I thought classes were included when you bought the machine.

MarleneC 05-07-2015 06:24 PM

I had been told with both my Vikings that there were classes but I was never told of any except once a month a class on how to use one of the feet or a feature. I read the manuals and learned on my own.

Skylark53 05-07-2015 09:59 PM

I find a combination of both for me. When I first started and knew practically nothing about sewing or quilting at all, and I took a beginning rag quilt class. It was baptism by fire but I learned a ton and with that background I was able to look things up on Youtube, etc. and work on my own. If there's a really new/different technique that I need to learn I prefer in-person instruction. I can confirm I'm doing things right, etc. I can hardly ever do anything by just reading - if I'm following a tutorial I need pictures and/or video. Once I get more experience, that may change, but I'm a very hands-on learner.

The classes also force me to get started and work on a project - sometimes I'm so concerned about doing it wrong I never even end up starting!

BettyGee 05-08-2015 08:06 AM

I'd go with a Craftsy class any time for any technique. They offer classes taught by the names we all know and love, the prices are great, you do it at your time and pace. Cannot say enough good things about them.