Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Classes? what classes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/classes-what-classes-t264900.html)

Snooze2978 05-06-2015 08:06 AM

Yes, same here. My dealers have yet to give me any training. When I got my quilt machine, all the setup guy did was make sure it was working correctly. Otherwise I was on my own to figure things out. Thank goodness for YouTube videos or I'd be in deep up to my elbows scratching my head. Even learning how to make a quilt has been by videos. I download them and watch them at my convenience and even go back to check out how to do a certain step at times. I'm so glad those who have taken the time to make these videos for us or I probably would have given up years ago.

Thank you all.

thrums 05-06-2015 09:05 AM

I'm also a hands-on learner. You may want to attend sewing groups or quilting groups in your area. I've had good experience meeting new friends who are happy to help me learn new techniques. Quilt shops may be able to give you references too.

DebD800 05-06-2015 09:44 AM

I have never taken a "real life" class. I have relied only on my machine manuals, Craftsy classes, Missouri Quilt Company tutorials, other You Tube videos, books, and boards like this one for everything i've learned - and i get a lot if compliments on my quilts so i guess it's working out well for me!

AliKat 05-06-2015 05:39 PM

When I bought my last 3 sewing machines I made sure I could go back to the LQS's where I bought them if I need help & it would be free. Well, one LQS closed shop. The other 2 are the closer ones to my house & I still go back if I have a question &, yes, the help is free.

For me it was part of the price negotiation.

MadQuilter 05-06-2015 05:59 PM

I do both. Classes were included with the purchase and I am glad I went. I learned a lot about setup, using the different feet, and so on. It helped me really get to know my machine.

susie-susie-susie 05-06-2015 06:19 PM

When I bought my Janome 7700, they said I could have classes forever if I needed them. I had a Janome 4800 before and they are very much alike. The threading is almost the same. The only thing different is the walking foot. They showed me how to use it and I forgot by the time I got home. The second time I didn't have my machine but they were going to show me what to do, but someone moved part of the foot. The third time was the charm. I took a class so my machine was there and they showed me again. This time I think I can remember (senior memory). The only thing I have a problem with is the self threader, and it works every time when they use it. It must be user error. If the only thing I have to do is thread the needle, I can live with that.
Sue

Dolphyngyrl 05-06-2015 08:34 PM

I am a craftsy addict.I like both but seeing as my work schedule doesn't fit quilt class schedules since they seem to cater to retired people time wise I am left with doing online things

mom-6 05-06-2015 09:26 PM

Due to location and schedule I have not attended any classes since college. Lol! I learned all the basics back then as I was a home ec major.

However I've learned ever so much that is quilt specific from this board! And any questions I might have are answered promptly and often with several different options for how to (whatever).

At some point I would like to have some personal instruction on several aspects of machine quilting that would require someone watching how I'm doing it and then telling me how it would work better if I ???? Scheduling that could be a bit of a challenge however.

DOTTYMO 05-06-2015 10:47 PM

I like to go to any class as it is the social part meeting and finding new friends. I can follow written instructions and hate illustrations although I know many work the opposite way. In classes you make friends and chatter about anything which is very good for myself who lives alone.

Girlfriend 05-06-2015 10:56 PM

I love live classes. I always learn things I know I wouldn't have known I could do with my machine, without the class(es).