Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-sewing-room-t129835.html)

Windsong 06-13-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Granny B
If I cleaned by sewing room, I wouldn't be able to find anything.

That's my problem. I'm still looking for things from the last cleaning. lol
Windsong

Nana B 06-13-2011 05:22 PM

You know what, I am SOOOOOOO glad to hear there are so many other quilters just like me. I've been beating myself up for the mess. They say you can be more creative if you have a clean place to work, heck I would have to move out my "stuff" and then move back in and that really sounds like to much work and can you imagine the distractions that would be involved!!!!!! Just forget it!!!!! I'll just do it my way, LOL

cabinfever 06-13-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me...

Originally Posted by romanojg
I have a friend who refuses to show her quilting room to anyone who isn't a quilter. They just can't understand. When her sister came to visit she showed her the house for the first time but wouldn't let her into the quilting room. Obviously she isn't a quilter.

This friend sounds like me. My step-daughter (who doesn't like ANYTHING out for home decor--she is a minimalist) feels the need to open the door to my studio and look in EVERY time she comes over! I just laugh and tell her when I die, there is a lot of money to be made off that room! ROFL

My sewing room is OFF LIMITS to visiting guests, as none so far are quilters or crafty at all. I don't even like to let DH in there, as he thinks it should look like a model home, the way he likes the rest of the house. One reason for my sewing room being unwalkable at times...it is the catch-all location for anything DH has a problem with; my antiques that don't match, my family keepsakes like the childs' antique rocker from G'ma, etc. I even keep some things of my mothers, so when she flys out to visit, she doesn't have to bring so much; especially medical equipment. Even though I appreciate that DH let me have my own space, I don't like him to tell me how to use/keep it. All of my favorite things are there.
After I get my mother downsized this summer (a good part of my summer is out of state with her), I will return to do the big sewing room clean-up, before school starts again...too soon. Has anyone noticed how short summers are now? I could laugh as time seems shorter in general, but our school only gives us 7 weeks off...not the great 3 months we had as kids. :(

baglady65 06-13-2011 05:29 PM

Wow you sound like me that is what I'm doing in my sewing hole! LOL

rob529 06-13-2011 06:52 PM

I have been having a really bad day and you made me smile. First one all day and it is 10 PM.
Robin in TX

rob529 06-13-2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
Kat, are you sure you aren't my long lost twin? Quilter twin? Separated at the LQS?

Oh no, the LQS would never have seperated you.

GailG 06-13-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kat29803
This may take FOREVER!! I started a week ago. I found lots of magazines and piled them up to take to the guild meeting and give away. Next day I thought I better go through them first. So that took a day and a half.

OK - back to work. Found a big bunch of charm squares. (I have NO MEMORY of buying them.) Stopped cleaning and started sewing Disappearing 9 Patches. Wow, what fun! So, today after church, I will sew some more. Then I should put them together in a small baby quilt to take to guild tomorrow night for Show & Tell.

At this rate I probably will take a year to finish the organization!

My daughter, who is not a quilter, or in the least crafty, said "Aren't you finished yet"?

Are you sure you're not my twin sister?! I do the same thing. I've been at my "room" for a year now. Things went well for a day or two and then I began getting interested in projects that caught my eye. And then when I began going into my neatly folded stash and using some of it, it didn't get back to it's original place and now things are getting more and more jumbled. Woe is me!

anniec55 06-13-2011 07:03 PM

I started doing the same after overhearing my son tell his wife that he was concerned that mom was becoming a hoarder!! So decided I needed to clean it up and clean it out. Good for you,.. you doing great and sound like your making good progress, just stay with it! I will post pics too, later.

Dee 06-13-2011 07:13 PM

Its not factory work, it suppose to be fun and relaxing. A hobby.

Ruby the Quilter 06-13-2011 08:53 PM

I cleaned a bookshelf this afternoon and it is all organized. Didn't feel like sewing but felt like doing something. I spent the weekend in the hospital with a partially blocked small intestine - so it is slow going for me. Now I need to really straighten the rest of the sewing room. May do a little tomorrow after Bible study.