Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning up our sewing areas! Let's Start! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-up-our-sewing-areas-lets-start-t32793.html)

Needles in SW OR 01-02-2010 10:07 AM

To Watterstide
I agree that comforter, pillowcase and sheet plastic envelopes are wonderful for storage.
Since I have little shelving in my utility room where I sew, I found these plastics to be wonderful. They are strong, squared and zippered.
I am in on the 2010 'cleanup." I folded all my smallish sized pieces of fabric, stacked them in the comforter size bags for storage. Neat, tidy and easy to spot the desired fabric.
The smaller, pillowcase size, I have hanging by my sewing table and when I have a crumb, snippet or smallish piece, I put it in the pillowcase bag to use for a crumb quilt later.

I worked on my sewing area which is small and thus seems to be cluttered. I put a small basket inside a large basket and put my utensils that I am working with in the small basket and the thread spools, scissors and rotary cutter in the larger basket, along with the copy of my pattern. Now I have only one item to move around. Works for me!

donnajean 01-02-2010 10:18 AM

When you say "price of shipping is going up Monday" you are not talking about USPS are you. I was not aware of a price increase.

bstanbro 01-02-2010 10:23 AM

I use those square plastic containers that salad greens come in for lots of things. They hold fat quarters and patterns (stand patterns on end like a book). I use them for lots of things. I just hate throwing them into the landfill.

brushandthimble 01-02-2010 02:17 PM

I have old suitcases, the hard sided ones I use for storage of craft items I don't use freguently. The largest one has ribbon and lace and I put a hang tag on the handle listing what is inside. They stack onto of each other.

CanadianLoon 01-02-2010 03:55 PM

Phew!
I'm exhausted reading about all this activity.
I definitely think I have a headache coming on .......

PineyRiverQuilter 01-02-2010 04:43 PM

Just returned home from a visit to my folks, and on the way stopped at favorite fabric shop. Now I have 12 yds more to hurry and cut up (some for my newest quilt) and then find a place for more leftovers. Also stopped by Lowe's and bought a pegboard to hang in our church's sewing room. I'll get those Holy Tearers (our UMC quilt group) organized too.

wvdek 01-02-2010 05:21 PM

Well how do you like that? The one area of ml life that is organized and I keep organized cleaning up after a project, and I can't join in your fun.

My 'sewing room' is in our large Great Room, 20 x 40', and since my DD's cat's are all over everything, I have to keep things picked up and cleaned up.

I will post some pics, though and maybe my ideas will help someone else.

Happy organizing everyone!

QuiltingGrannie 01-02-2010 06:18 PM

Just spent 2+ hours in my sewing room. Went through all my small scraps and got them organized in a drawer in a plastic rolling cart. Other fabric is about 90% refolded using the ruler method (love it), and labeled with the labels I created. Then I have it stored by color, or by project. Another drawer has my UFO's left over from Christmas along with extra Christmas fabric.
I'm a newbie to quilting so my stash is small compared to others.
Time to call it a day, after working 8 hours and them 2+ in the sewing room.
Won't be back to sewing til Mon - Have church and then work tomorrow.
Have a great weekend.

Pam G 01-02-2010 06:35 PM

Another hour and a half. Sewing Table mostly cleaned off. Why is it when we clear off on area another gets messed up? Now I have to work on my desk area and cutting table again. Still have ironing board to clean off too.

TOO MANY scraps of yet to be finished projects that seem to be re-appearing. Need to figure out how to complete one thing before starting another, but what fun is that??

How do others organize WIPs or UFOs so they can get done? I have five quilt tops that I can think of right off the top of my head ... yikes ... two of them I know I want to Tie.

blahel 01-02-2010 07:25 PM

this is a great thread and has made me realise that i need to sort out my fabric by color as it is hard to see what I have without spending ages looking for what I need..luckily my space is already pretty tidy as I have to share my space with my husband as it is also our home office. Reading what everyone else was doing inspired me to organise more of my items just to make things easier when I am trying to find things. Looking forward to getting more tips on how to keep everything even more organised so keep posting people!