Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning/Washing a Quilt - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-washing-quilt-t296487.html)

bearisgray 04-25-2018 08:19 PM

Cleaning/Washing a Quilt -

How do you do it?

Assumptions:

Top and backing are made of cotton
All components were manufactured within the past 20 years
No sequins or similar adornments are on it

Also - do you wash/clean "on a schedule" or on an "as needed" basis?

Dolphyngyrl 04-25-2018 08:31 PM

As needed, I just use washer and detergent, no special technique

mamagrande 04-25-2018 09:47 PM

I don't wash my hand quilted quilt in the washer..I wash it when needed at least once a year because I rotate them. I wash mine in the bath tub with some detergent that does not have bleach in it. I soak it for a day then quish it up and down then rinse it twice. quish most of the water out, place in a plastic laundry basket and let the water drip out by squeezing it. Then I place over chairs out side in the sun. To protect the colors I place the backing up.

I know that is a lot of work but since I don't hand quilt, and I paid alot of $$$ to have it quilted I want to really that care of it. The other quilts that I have machine quilted go in the washer in the gentle cycle.

quiltingcandy 04-25-2018 10:34 PM

Since I have a washer without the center agitator I was all of mine in the washer. There is a button for using extra hate so I use that too.

cjsews 04-26-2018 02:47 AM

The smaller quilts go in my washer. Larger ones go to the laundromat using the front load machines. No special treatment other than adding a little white vinegar. If they wear out, I know it was well used and just make another

ckcowl 04-26-2018 03:33 AM

I toss quilts in the washer, tumble dry them. Unless something happens to make it necessary to launder more often I tend to switch quilts by the season - when it’s time to change from one to another I launder the one that’s been on the bed before putting it away. So once a year- if I’ve had it out used for a few months

Joset 04-26-2018 03:53 AM

i have a gentle setting on my washer and i just use that .

coffeecozy 04-26-2018 04:16 AM

Tough love around here, washed and dried with the sheets hot and in the dryer. My sons one quilt has been doing that weekly for almost 5 years and is not showing any signs of wear other than maybe fading a bit (black and very bright batiks).
I never thought it would still be looking so good!
I thought I should add that I am not a completely horrible person and my quilts that my grandmother made and that are all hand stitched get the hand wash cycle on cool and hung up or tumbled dry but now with some damaged spots I am debating the best way to clean them.

Stitchnripper 04-26-2018 04:22 AM

Washer and dryer. No special care even for hand quilted ones. So far so good. No issues. I wash as needed. We don’t have pets and no one smokes.

bungalow59 04-26-2018 06:08 AM

Cold water
Gentle cycle
Phosphate free detergent

Tumble dry on delicate cycle (low heat)