Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning/Washing a Quilt -

Power Poster

Cleaning/Washing a Quilt -

How do you do it?

Assumptions:

Top and backing are made of cotton
    All components were manufactured within the past 20 years
    No sequins or similar adornments are on it

Also - do you wash/clean "on a schedule" or on an "as needed" basis?
    Last edited by bearisgray; 04-25-2018 at 08:22 PM.

As needed, I just use washer and detergent, no special technique
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I don't wash my hand quilted quilt in the washer..I wash it when needed at least once a year because I rotate them. I wash mine in the bath tub with some detergent that does not have bleach in it. I soak it for a day then quish it up and down then rinse it twice. quish most of the water out, place in a plastic laundry basket and let the water drip out by squeezing it. Then I place over chairs out side in the sun. To protect the colors I place the backing up.

I know that is a lot of work but since I don't hand quilt, and I paid alot of $$$ to have it quilted I want to really that care of it. The other quilts that I have machine quilted go in the washer in the gentle cycle.

Since I have a washer without the center agitator I was all of mine in the washer. There is a button for using extra hate so I use that too.

The smaller quilts go in my washer. Larger ones go to the laundromat using the front load machines. No special treatment other than adding a little white vinegar. If they wear out, I know it was well used and just make another

Blog Entries
    I toss quilts in the washer, tumble dry them. Unless something happens to make it necessary to launder more often I tend to switch quilts by the season - when it’s time to change from one to another I launder the one that’s been on the bed before putting it away. So once a year- if I’ve had it out used for a few months
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

i have a gentle setting on my washer and i just use that .

Tough love around here, washed and dried with the sheets hot and in the dryer. My sons one quilt has been doing that weekly for almost 5 years and is not showing any signs of wear other than maybe fading a bit (black and very bright batiks).
    I never thought it would still be looking so good!
    I thought I should add that I am not a completely horrible person and my quilts that my grandmother made and that are all hand stitched get the hand wash cycle on cool and hung up or tumbled dry but now with some damaged spots I am debating the best way to clean them.
    Last edited by coffeecozy; 04-26-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Washer and dryer. No special care even for hand quilted ones. So far so good. No issues. I wash as needed. We don’t have pets and no one smokes.
    Alyce

Cold water
    Gentle cycle
    Phosphate free detergent

Tumble dry on delicate cycle (low heat)

Stichnripper, I do as you do, I used to hand quilt all my quilts, I have learned to free motion in the last couple and most get machine quilted.

Power Poster
    Survival of the fittest here. As need they go in the top load washer on regular cycle and then into the dryer until almost dry.

Blog Entries
    I wash mine in my front load washer on regular cycle and dry them in my dryer. Tough love here. Some quilts are hand quilted and some are machine quilted. I wash them as needed. That being said, I air them on my deck from time to time when I am changing my linens.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Wash and dry. I don't make quilts that have to be petted.

Only wash them as needed. I never wash wall quilts. For quilts that are used, they need to be washable even if there's some fabric bleeding (I know, gasp!). That goes for older quilts I've purchased as auctions or estate sales. When I give away a quilt, I always wash it before giving it away.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
    Wash and dry. I don't make quilts that have to be petted.
    Same here. I give my old quilts that my grandmother made special attention, but mine just get popped in the washer and washed on an as needed basis.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

My quilts are thrown into the washer, as needed, and then tumbled dried. No special treatment.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Washer and dryer or clothesline if the weather permits. I use a gentle detergent. That's about it. Since we have cats I wash more frequently than some people maybe. You know how much our furkids love quilts!

We figure our quilts are made with the same materials as our sheets, socks, jeans, underwear, etc., so they should stand up to a good wash and dry in our home machines. We don't wash on a schedule - just as needed. No problems so far, but we have only been quilting about 9 or 10 years.

All my quilts are washed and dried before given away. I use cold water tide and dry on regular. Don't know what care they may get in the future. Quilts I keep and use gets washed the same way as needed.

I would never attempt to wash quilts in the bathtub. I think the wringing and line drying would be too hard on the stitches. Much worse than machine washing and drying.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I machine wash and dry, too, but since I have a front loader now, I plan to take queen-sized quilts to the laundromat. I don't think the "HE" front loader uses enough water for larger quilts. I worry reds and hot pinks will run without more water.

Gentle soak and squeeze for 10-15 minutes using wool wash detergent and tepid temperature water in the bath. Pull out the plug, let the quilt drain for an hour or so ( longer if I forget about it!) and then dry flat on sheets or towels. When weight feels back to normal I then drape the quilt over a clothes airer to finish drying....outside in the sunshine or inside in front of the heater.

Wash warm on regular using All detergent Free(no dyes variety), throw in the dryer on Hot. Same here my quilts are not made to be a burden. Many of my quilts are gifted as baby gifts and are washed before gifted and I usually throw in a box of Color Catchers, new moms love the Color Catchers.

I wash them in the washer on gentle cycle and then line dry them. They smell so fresh!

Home washing machine and dryer here. I do it on an as needed basis. I agree with the survival of the fittest rule. The only change I have made is when a quilt gets larger than twin size, I switch from Warm and White cotton batting to Warm and Bright polyester batting. It is much easier on the washing machine. Not as heavy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast