Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning/Washing a Quilt  - >

Cleaning/Washing a Quilt -

Cleaning/Washing a Quilt -

Old 04-27-2018, 03:00 AM

I machine wash and dry, too, but since I have a front loader now, I plan to take queen-sized quilts to the laundromat. I don't think the "HE" front loader uses enough water for larger quilts. I worry reds and hot pinks will run without more water.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:17 AM

Gentle soak and squeeze for 10-15 minutes using wool wash detergent and tepid temperature water in the bath. Pull out the plug, let the quilt drain for an hour or so ( longer if I forget about it!) and then dry flat on sheets or towels. When weight feels back to normal I then drape the quilt over a clothes airer to finish drying....outside in the sunshine or inside in front of the heater.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:43 AM

Wash warm on regular using All detergent Free(no dyes variety), throw in the dryer on Hot. Same here my quilts are not made to be a burden. Many of my quilts are gifted as baby gifts and are washed before gifted and I usually throw in a box of Color Catchers, new moms love the Color Catchers.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:02 AM

I wash them in the washer on gentle cycle and then line dry them. They smell so fresh!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:38 AM

Home washing machine and dryer here. I do it on an as needed basis. I agree with the survival of the fittest rule. The only change I have made is when a quilt gets larger than twin size, I switch from Warm and White cotton batting to Warm and Bright polyester batting. It is much easier on the washing machine. Not as heavy.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:58 AM

As needed, and that includes washing all fabric before I cut it. We had nothing but trouble and frustration with a Sears brand front loader. After reading so many reviews about it, I took to heart the statements about the Speed Queen being their next purchase. I went to a dealer in Oregon and bought the Speed Queen Commercial with gentle and hand wash cycles. Usually I will wash a quilt on the gentle cycle and dry it on the cotton setting. I am of the belief that hanging a quilt heavy with dripping water puts too much strain on the stitches. I sew with a group that sews for charity, and they look at me like I have two heads when I suggest that all quilts we give should be washed and dried first.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I wash them as needed. I have a top loading washer. When it is time to buy another w/d set, I will be buying a Speed Queen commercial one too. Looking forward to that.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Made my husband a flannel quilt with a minky backing, no batting. He uses it all the time. I throw it in my washer (no agitator) on the gentle cycle, then in the dryer on low setting. No shrinkage, no fading, the quilting (stitch in the ditch) is still fine.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:26 AM

I check a small spot with a bit of hot water to see if it will run - reds are so bad. If no running then I agree with washer delicate, wrap in big towel to get out excess water, short time in dryer and lay out flat in sun. But don't wash often , you can vacuum.
If it bleeds, there's a great PDF on line: help my bleeding quilt
Old 04-27-2018, 08:42 AM

I'm sorry---extra hate?