Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise on this one >

need advise on this one

need advise on this one

Old 04-25-2018, 02:54 PM

Default need advise on this one

Hi, I am trying to make a quilt with a picture of piano in the center. Here is the drawing of it. I am debating how to do it. Should I do it as a appliqué, some pieces will be quite large (the piano center will be about 25 inches square) and how will I join these pieces?
or, should I try to divide this drawing into section and attempt to paper piecing?
I will be using a black batik fabric, as it frays less and if I do appliqué I will use 'wonder under' only as a outline.
I know that this forum has so many very experienced quilters and I thought that I will ask for advice.
thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails piano-sketch.jpg  
Old 04-25-2018, 03:08 PM

If it were mine to do, I'd do applique.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:42 PM

I think I remember an appliquéd one by Morelcabin creations (I think she is a member here? Tammy maybe? ) When I went searching I did see a few on pinterest, but I'm not a member there so can't see the source. I did find a pieced grand piano mug rug, so thought I would give you the link..... over 150 pieces, yowzers! http://sarahlynnsmiteredcorner.blogs...ug-rug_25.html
Old 04-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I would buy the pattern, blow it up, and then paper piece it. https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...piecing/142616
Old 04-25-2018, 05:37 PM

thanks for the advice, I did buy that pattern, just spend an evening trying to enlarge it for PP....

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would buy the pattern, blow it up, and then paper piece it. https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...piecing/142616
Old 04-25-2018, 05:44 PM

I would applique it and maybe use a dark grey color for the pieces shaded in green for contrast.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by mtkoldra View Post
thanks for the advice, I did buy that pattern, just spend an evening trying to enlarge it for PP....
can you take it to a copy center and get them to blow it up to the size you want? that is what I would do.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 PM

Most commercial copy centers will not enlarge a copyrighted pattern. They feel it violates copyright. I had a pattern that *required* copying, because it was printed on both sides of the paper and cutting from one side would have destroyed the pieces on the other side. The copy center refused to do it.

(It is my personal opinion that once I buy a pattern, it is mine to do with as I will. I can enlarge it, reduce it, adapt it, sell or give it away when I'm done with it, or run it through the paper shredder! The only thing I cannot and will not do is make copies of it to sell or give away while I still retain the original.)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 AM

Great pattern. I take patterns to our copy center (FED-EX) and copy or enlarge all the time. They have no objections if you make the copies.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:21 AM

I used to have dh enlarge/copy all my patterns when he worked for big name image companies. Now I use blueprint shops or most often- staples or office depot/max. Have never had them refuse to do that for me. Didn't matter if there was a size change or not. I prefer to keep my originals intact in case I want to do the pattern again in future. Considering that some patterns are over $50. (pretty pricy when you think about it) I won't take the chance of using the original only & then having a major mess up!!! Go to a different copy shop!!!!!
sewverybusy1