Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Clothing from quilting cotton..is it ok? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clothing-quilting-cotton-ok-t196849.html)

drgranny 08-08-2012 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5421460)
That's what we used to 'live in' - feed, flour, and sugar sacks were made of cotton!

I'm still not sure why 'not suitable for children's clothing' is stamped on some selvages of smooth, woven cottons.

My husband does screen printing, mostly on t-shirts. The reason for the not suitable for children's clothing stamps on fabrics is that some of the dyes are dangerous. I am not sure about the particulars because I don't have anything to do with his screen printing. But I do know that some of the dyes have something in them called "thylates" which is dangerous for children to sleep in. I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with being flamable. For that reason we don't do anything that is going to be worn by children under 12. The maker has to keep up with all kinds of statistics and data just in case something happens to a child while wearing something that is printed with these dyes. The labeling keeps the manufacturer from being sued.

deanna.r 08-08-2012 12:18 PM

When my daughter was doing an apprenticeship, they were not allowed to wear clothes with any synthetics in them because many of them will melt and stick to your skin when exposed to a flame. In my opinion, 100% cotton is the way to go, with quilting cotton being the best to use. As others have said, who needs to have a growing child exposed to all those chemicals?

GrannieAnnie 08-09-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq (Post 5422311)
Isn't it amazing? When I started making quilts, they were made of cottons sold for clothing sewing. There were no quilting cottons. I don't think the quilt police will be snatching clothing made out of the so-called quilting cottons.

LOL, sewing cotton becomes quilting cotton when it is moved to the quilting aisle.

tenngal 08-18-2012 04:00 AM

I use it all the time. Does have to be ironed, but I iron anyway. Coming from FL. I'm used to it.

beatys9 08-18-2012 08:55 PM

Uh, yeah. And I'm not even discreet. At $11 or more per yard, I'll scrunch if I want to...

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5421961)
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Okay - who else does this????

tate_elliott 08-25-2012 11:13 AM

Has anyone else thought about the irony that the fabric we supposedly can't use for children's sleepwear is being used to make quilts for their beds?

Tate

jojo47 09-06-2012 08:24 PM

I'm a bit late at reading this post, but glad I did. My sister sent three outfits home with me this summer....had cut them out for her daughter, but didn't get them sewn before she outgrew them. They will fit MY DGD come next spring/summer...and yes, the fabric is quilting cotton! (My sis work part-time in a quilt shop.)

GrannieAnnie 09-06-2012 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by kjohnson0523 (Post 5421268)
I really want to make some children's clothing and the cotton prints are very cute but now I have reservations about using them. I have been reading a lot about not using quilting cotton to sew clothing. Are there any particular reasons for not using quilting cotton for sewing clothing?
Thanks
Kim

I'd ask who told you such foolishness, but then I probably don't want to know.

GrannieAnnie 09-06-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 5423683)
probly just because it's not fire retardant.

The fire retardant requirement is only for manufactured nightwear for kids.

GrannieAnnie 09-06-2012 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott (Post 5467042)
Has anyone else thought about the irony that the fabric we supposedly can't use for children's sleepwear is being used to make quilts for their beds?

Tate

Not to mention, sheets, curtains, fabrics on toys..............................