Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color Catcher Warning..when washing fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-catcher-warning-when-washing-fabrics-t190120.html)

romanojg 05-27-2012 06:24 AM

Color Catcher Warning..when washing fabrics

Please be careful with the Color Catchers. I agree they do an amazing job but can cost you alot of money. There was a thread on here a few months ago about them getting into the pump of the front loading washers. I know that even with regular washers little kids socks can do that so on the rare occasion that I used one after that I'd pin it to a piece of fabric and it still did the job. Well, it was too late.

Not too long after that I started having problems with my washer and after tons of trouble shooting I had to call the repair man (thank goodness I had the warranty). He fixed it, it was clogged and showed me what was in it and told me I might want to go thru it because there were a few coins in it. I asked him about the color catchers and he agreed about them being a problem. After he left I went thru the fuzz as he called it, in the middle was 2 Color Catchers, there really wasn't too much "fuzz". Now I don't use them too often, as a matter of fact, I've only used a partial box but from now on I'll pin it to a piece of fabric and make sure I remove it when I'm done. This would have cost me plenty if it hadn't been for my warranty.

ontheriver 05-27-2012 06:37 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I have a front loader and I use a color catcher with every finished quilt I wash. I always made sure I find the used sheet after the cycle is done. I think they are less expensive than the fabric I would ruin with dye running.

crafty pat 05-27-2012 06:37 AM

Thanks for the information. I have used them for some time and never thought of the problem, like you I will pin mine on something from now on.

carslo 05-27-2012 06:38 AM

Thank you for the heads up. I have been using these for years now with no trouble but have only one year on washer warranty left. On my blog, I have written about why I take my quilts to the laundry mat to wash in the jumbo washers - and your post is another good reason to take my quilts to the laundry mat.

NanaCsews2 05-27-2012 06:39 AM

I have always put mine in a mesh laundry bag before tossing in the washer. Thanks for posting this.

Lori S 05-27-2012 06:41 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post this! Very good to know.

DebraK 05-27-2012 08:13 AM

oh, that's good idea

QuiltingHaven 05-27-2012 08:29 AM

Put them in a nylon bag for intimate underwear.

jaciqltznok 05-27-2012 08:34 AM

another reason to NOT buy a front loader! BUT if you have one, then by all means pin or baste the color catchers onto the fabric....and remember, you can tear the CC's into 1/4's and pin to several pieces

jaciqltznok 05-27-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven (Post 5246494)
Put them in a nylon bag for intimate underwear.

oohhh...another good idea...I did that when I washed several FQ's in the lingerie bag!