Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Catcher Warning..when washing fabrics

Blog Entries

Color Catcher Warning..when washing fabrics

Please be careful with the Color Catchers. I agree they do an amazing job but can cost you alot of money. There was a thread on here a few months ago about them getting into the pump of the front loading washers. I know that even with regular washers little kids socks can do that so on the rare occasion that I used one after that I'd pin it to a piece of fabric and it still did the job. Well, it was too late.

Not too long after that I started having problems with my washer and after tons of trouble shooting I had to call the repair man (thank goodness I had the warranty). He fixed it, it was clogged and showed me what was in it and told me I might want to go thru it because there were a few coins in it. I asked him about the color catchers and he agreed about them being a problem. After he left I went thru the fuzz as he called it, in the middle was 2 Color Catchers, there really wasn't too much "fuzz". Now I don't use them too often, as a matter of fact, I've only used a partial box but from now on I'll pin it to a piece of fabric and make sure I remove it when I'm done. This would have cost me plenty if it hadn't been for my warranty.
    Judy

Thanks for the heads up. I have a front loader and I use a color catcher with every finished quilt I wash. I always made sure I find the used sheet after the cycle is done. I think they are less expensive than the fabric I would ruin with dye running.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Thanks for the information. I have used them for some time and never thought of the problem, like you I will pin mine on something from now on.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the heads up. I have been using these for years now with no trouble but have only one year on washer warranty left. On my blog, I have written about why I take my quilts to the laundry mat to wash in the jumbo washers - and your post is another good reason to take my quilts to the laundry mat.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I have always put mine in a mesh laundry bag before tossing in the washer. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for taking the time to post this! Very good to know.

oh, that's good idea

Put them in a nylon bag for intimate underwear.
    Busy in Ohio

Banned
    Blog Entries
    another reason to NOT buy a front loader! BUT if you have one, then by all means pin or baste the color catchers onto the fabric....and remember, you can tear the CC's into 1/4's and pin to several pieces

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    Put them in a nylon bag for intimate underwear.
    oohhh...another good idea...I did that when I washed several FQ's in the lingerie bag!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    another reason to NOT buy a front loader! BUT if you have one, then by all means pin or baste the color catchers onto the fabric....and remember, you can tear the CC's into 1/4's and pin to several pieces
    I love my front loader and there are so many reasons to buy them instead of the top loading ones. I'm surprised though because my daughter does the kids laundry at my house and with those little socks, I would have figured one of those would have been in there. I've had the washer since 12/09 and I could tell right away the water/electric bill went down. It's a great machine and I think Color Catchers do save us a lot of money but now I know I have to be smarter when I use them. I'm glad that you all appreciated my post; I couldn't NOT tell you. That would have been wrong of me to keep it to myself if I can save even one person money and the headaches of a broken washer then I'm happy.
    Judy

I have been told that a white washcloth will do the same thing a color catcher does. I have not tried it yet so can not say it works....

I trust all of you that are using Color Catchers so devotedly with every wash are finding that they DO come out colored with loose dyes. Because if they don't, if they remain white, there was no need to use them in the first place. Fabric does not mysteriously regain the ability to run once it stops.

By the time my fabrics go into a quilt, they have stopped running...otherwise they don't go into the quilt. It's that simple.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I love my front loader and will never go back to a top loader. The front loader uses a lot less water, rinses clothes cleaner, and uses less electricity. I have had my machine for 6 years and have used color catchers for about 3 years with no trouble. I usually only use them when I wash fabric before making the quilt not after the quilt is made.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    I have always put mine in a mesh laundry bag before tossing in the washer. Thanks for posting this.
    mesh bag is a great idea!

Thanks for the post and the suggestions from other members on alternatives to pinning.

Another front loader devotee here. We bought our first one in 1998 and would probably still have it had it not been for our March floods in 2010. Of course, we bought another front loader.

Good thinking! I will take your advice on that!! Thanks.

Thanks for the advice I use them often

Front loaders also beat clothes with their action and wear them out faster. Would not have one if you gave it to me!

Thanks. My brother has a front loader and since its brand new I sure don't want to mess it up. So pin it to something from now on.. Although I don't think I will pin it to my quilt or clothes. I will keep a wash cloth .. I can just see the pin catching on something else and tearing my quilt.

Blog Entries
    top loaders also have the problem of a sock or small items getting caught in the pump. Ask me how I know!!!

thanks for telling me I have a front load washer and I love it, I will pin the catchers to the fabric....

Thanks for sharing!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    i don't know if this was mentioned or not but you can buy, from the dollar store, those mesh laundry/lingerie bags and put your color catchers in them so they do not get caught in your washer. i use these mesh bags to put in small items that i wash and do not want to lose. you can also make them as they are very simple to create.

i wonder if pinning something that is not flat to the fabric would pull a small hole in the fabric during the agitation and spin cycles.

p.s. ooh i see it has been mentioned. these little mesh bags work wonders for not losing things.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 05-28-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    This was one of my first thoughts --- to use a mesh bag. Thanks to you both.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast