Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Catcher Warning..when washing fabrics

Blog Entries
    I LOVE MY FRONT LOADERS! They do not beat your clothes to death and I have not had to replace any clothing related to that and/or those annoying fuzzy balls you get on your clothes due to the beating of a regular washing machine. Tks. G

Blog Entries
    NEGATIVE! They do not beat; they rotate the clothes back and forth. Please see any manufacturers instruction sheet and read their action base. Tks. G

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    I have always put mine in a mesh laundry bag before tossing in the washer. Thanks for posting this.
    This is a good idea as I always have a mesh bag for my "delicates". I just bought some color catchers when I was in Phoenix but I have never used them before. This board is a wealth of knowledge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGi View Post
    I LOVE MY FRONT LOADERS! They do not beat your clothes to death and I have not had to replace any clothing related to that and/or those annoying fuzzy balls you get on your clothes due to the beating of a regular washing machine. Tks. G
    I agree. With just coming out of winter months and I use a lot of sweaters I didn't think about it until now but my sweaters look alot better than normal; no pills or anything. Even the baby clothes have held up very well. I will never go back to a top loading/agitator washing maching again
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I hate front loading washers. i have no idea why they keep selling like hot cakes. i hear nothing but problems.
    so far my old top loading washer hasn't eaten socks or color catchers. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Tks for the info. I have actually used Color Catchers in a quilt so I always look for them after I wash a load of fabrics. Depending on the colors I am washing, the catchers come out so pretty. The pin idea is a great one & I'll do that from now on. My washer is not a front load but why take a chance on a high repair bill.

Blog Entries
    I have never used this type of color catcher. I use the dye grabber that you get at Joann's, it is fabric and you can use it up to 30 times. It looks like a wash cloth and is about the same size.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I put these into a lingerie bag. This keeps it from going anywhere and I don't care if this bag gets nasty with color.

Also make sure that your dryer vents are cleaned regularly. I had to have mine cleaned and it was a big ball of threads/strings. Cleaner said that I was very lucky I did not have a fire. Now I plan on cleaning every Mother's Day. That way I can always know when needs cleaned.

Thanks for the warning. I never thought of pinning it to a piece of cloth but will now....

Blog Entries
    thank you for all the info, i was going to try these, now i will put in the lingerie bag, i have several of those
    Mary

Thanks for the good information. I was wondering that after we use them the first time on a piece of material, do we need to keep on using them on the same material ever time it's washed? Or does one time do the trick?

Interesting thread... Good idea to put small items in a mesh bag. DD complains that she's lost a sock or two; I wonder if they've been eaten by the washer? (she wears the ones that don't show in sneakers)

Earlier today I was trying to figure out how long I've had my front loader (Whirlpool Duet). Older DD was in high school when we bought it; she's been out of college for 5 years - so it's at least 10 years old. Never had a problem! Love it - can do larger loads, uses less water and is gentle on clothes. When I do prewash fabrics - which is rare - I don't end up with a ball of strings and tangles.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I, also, love my front loader. I had top loaders for years and went to a front loader, and you couldn't pay me to go back to a top loader. I've never had a problem with my front loader!!! It saves me quite a bit of money on my water and electric bill!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

My husband is a Sear's appliance repairman and he works on all types of washers. I asked him his preference. He said the front loaders pumps DO get clogged more often and a lot easier than the top loaders. He prefers the top loading machines. However, he said that clothes come out clean no matter which type you use, but the front loaders do tend to have that awful smell after a while. He said its really six of one, half a dozen of the other! Lol He doesn't get more calls from one vs. the other. Just thought I'd pass along a professional's opinion! : )

Blog Entries
    I guess I am a lucky person. I have used color catchers since they've been on and market (at least 10 yrs.) and have never had a problem. I'm knocking on wood. As to the cost, I find that I can use them 3-4 times before disposing of them, unless they get really bad before that.
    When life goes to pieces, make quilts.

You ladies are all so smart!!!

I use them and have never had a problem. The cost can't be much, some time you just have to foget about cost and look at the benefits.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Thank you for the heads up. also the bag idea!!!
    Patricia

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    wow that is good to know .. thanks for sharing about the colorcatchers.. I will be sure to put them into a bag for the washer-good idea whether one has a top loader or a front loader.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Great information. I do use them - but always check to find it - of course that could be too late - so I'll start pinning them.
    Quilting in the Desert

Hmn, if dye is a problem, then wash the new clothing or fabric separately in cold to warm water and add white vinegar to the rinse to set the colours. It saves time, money and the environment!
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

Wow! I've used these before and never even thought about having trouble like that. I'll be more careful. Thanks for the heads up

My husband used to pin his socks together in pairs before he threw them in the wash. One of his safety pins opened up and got caught in the pump on our front loader. Repairman got it out. Safety pins no longer go in our washer! The mesh bag sounds like a good idea for the color catchers.

Blog Entries
    I use the color catcher that you can use 30 times and looks like a terry wash rag. Have had no problems whatsoever. Have the little gauge on the box marked at 15 quilts done now - also I have a top load machine. I have a tendency to get underwires caught in mine. So embarrassing when the repairman says "I found your problem." So now I have a nice, no problem washer and saggy boobs!!!!!! I just consider the trade-off. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Love the ideas around cc. I wouldn't have dreamed they could cause the trouble they do. And, I also have a front loader which has been a great machine. Twice I've opened the cleanout valve on the front bottom and done my own repairs (lots of dog hair from carpets and clothes really will clog faster than a cc.)
    The only thing I DON'T like about my front loader is that when I'm going to felt something, it would seem the top loader would be a better bet for deep hot water soaking. Anybody have any experience with that one?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast