Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Color Catcher Warning..when washing fabrics

Thanks for sharing this tip. "Ounce of prevention..."
    Carol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I use them and have never had a problem. The cost can't be much, some time you just have to foget about cost and look at the benefits.
    I'm not sure what cost you think can't be that much; just to come to the house a repair service can cost 100 and that's not with the work being done. Even though I have a warranty, they still give you the bill but mark it paid and trust me it would have cost me a few hundred dollars, so I don't know about you, that is alot of money that I don't have. There would be no benefit with that one. That's why I posted this; no ones saying quit using the color catchers. They work great; just take measures to protect your washer just in case.
    Judy

Hmmmm I very seldom use them but come to think of it I do not think the last one was ever found. I will have my DH look.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bglock1 View Post
    My husband is a Sear's appliance repairman and he works on all types of washers. I asked him his preference. He said the front loaders pumps DO get clogged more often and a lot easier than the top loaders. He prefers the top loading machines. However, he said that clothes come out clean no matter which type you use, but the front loaders do tend to have that awful smell after a while. He said its really six of one, half a dozen of the other! Lol He doesn't get more calls from one vs. the other. Just thought I'd pass along a professional's opinion! : )
    For the smell you can either get the stuff at the store to run thru the washer everyone in a while or what I find that works better is cheaper and I don't have to waste a whole washer load of water to do it. I put vinegar (white or cider) in your bleach area and run it thru with your clothes about once a week. I normally have at least one load of baby clothes each time I do laundry so I use the vinegar with it because it brightens and freshens the clothes and takes care of my washer as well. I don't have any problems with oders. I can't leave the doors opened because my cat thinks it's her "cat cave" when I do and she'll be in there sleeping and then I have to clean out the cat hair.
    Judy

Thanks for the idea of the mesh laundry bag. So simple and useful idea!

Thank you for posting the warning. I had no idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    another reason to NOT buy a front loader! BUT if you have one, then by all means pin or baste the color catchers onto the fabric....and remember, you can tear the CC's into 1/4's and pin to several pieces
    I don't get the point of tearing them into 1/4s.[

Thanks for posting this. I'll be pinning mine to a fabric from now on even though I don't have a front loader.
    Kim

Thanks for the info. I've never thought about it. Will use a mesh bag.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    I... I have a tendency to get underwires caught in mine. So embarrassing when the repairman says "I found your problem." So now I have a nice, no problem washer and saggy boobs!!!!!! I just consider the trade-off. Edie
    i have washed my lingerie in mesh bags for many years now so no lost underwires. there is also another cure for saggy boobs..... it involves a doctor and a coupla of snips. i got my funds set aside for the day when...
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I also love my front load washer. When I bought this machine the dealer advised me not to use color catchers. Keeping the washer clean eliminates any odor. The only problem I have found is that I cannot dye fabric in this washer as it does not use enough water.

Thank you for sharing this information. We will be buying a new washer soon and this is something I had not thought about. I am sure there are other small items such as hankies, ribbons, fabric belts and such that might also be a problem.

Blog Entries
    Good information, I have a front loader washer and love it, but I have to keep the door open and wash it out often,
    the machine smells, the gasket around the door and drum the say causes it. I use white vinager in it and wash with to clean.

Placing them in one of the lingerie laundry bags is also a great way to prevent their going into the drain or pump of the washer. I do this with the "footies" I put over my toes when I wear open heeled walking shoes.

Nancy

nls
    Thanks for the info--good idea about the lingerie bag.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the "heads up". We have a front loader and haven't had any problems, but will take precautions from now on.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    I have always put mine in a mesh laundry bag before tossing in the washer. Thanks for posting this.

This is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing this tip!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

I prewash all fabrics but never thought about the threads getting into the dryer vent. I'd better check that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestio.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    Put them in a nylon bag for intimate underwear.
    That's what they recommend on the box for front loading machines. I think it's a good idea for all kinds of washers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bunbytes View Post
    That's what they recommend on the box for front loading machines. I think it's a good idea for all kinds of washers.
    I agree -- good idea for all washers.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

I've started using the color catchers placed in a nylon mesh bag with a zipper closure. It still works and I don't have to worry about it getting into the pump or having a pin get caught and rip my quilt.

Blog Entries
    I bought a new washer dryer set and selected the top loader. It does not have an agitator and swishes the clothes one way then another. Each setting has a different swish. I bought it because it had a hand wash setting. I wash all my fabric on that setting. No more tangled threads or raveling of the fabric. I can wash fat quarters, and even charm squares and no tangled mess of strings. I don't prewash that much but the handwash is perfect for washing finished quilts. I don't know how it spins the water out but nothing is pushed flat to the sides or bottom of the drum unless I use the sheets and towel setting. It has a setting for most all washable items. It cost more then the front loaders I looked at which surprised my DH. I looked and I can't see any place a small item can get out of the drum into anything. Just tiny holes in the drum.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I bought a new washer dryer set and selected the top loader. It does not have an agitator and swishes the clothes one way then another. Each setting has a different swish. I bought it because it had a hand wash setting. I wash all my fabric on that setting. No more tangled threads or raveling of the fabric. I can wash fat quarters, and even charm squares and no tangled mess of strings. I don't prewash that much but the handwash is perfect for washing finished quilts. I don't know how it spins the water out but nothing is pushed flat to the sides or bottom of the drum unless I use the sheets and towel setting. It has a setting for most all washable items. It cost more then the front loaders I looked at which surprised my DH. I looked and I can't see any place a small item can get out of the drum into anything. Just tiny holes in the drum.
    Be careful; if you look inside of a front loader that's all you can see. I couldn't believe it do I looked and couldn't figure out where small things could get out like that. I do remember years ago it happening to a friend who had a top loader as well. I'd say you could be right but why take the chance and just put them either in a mesh bag or pin them to a washcloth or other rag while it washes. Better to be safe than sorry. Congratulations on your new purchase though, I was so happy when I got mine and still am after two yrs.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I have a great appliance repairman and I don't hesitate to call him. I think DH keeps him on retainer. LOL.
    Got fabric?

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I did a post on this months ago because ago. I put mine in mesh bags. They are not sold in most European countries becasue of the clogging.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast