Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color Me fabric by Michael Miller (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-me-fabric-michael-miller-t270428.html)

Prism99 09-27-2015 10:02 AM

gramajo, you might want to try glueing instead of pinning. This little glue stick is really, really handy at the sewing machine:
http://www.amazon.com/Sewline-Riolis...dp/B00REIQW08/

Fons & Porter has one too, and the refills are interchangeable for both pens (probably the same manufacturer, different branding). It's a little easier to use than an Elmer's glue stick because the tip is finer.

As for the presser feet, I would probably just leave my favorite piecing foot on the machine. Perhaps buy a second machine that can be left set up for quilting (with a darning foot or walking foot).

For eyes, good lighting and a magnifying glass can work wonders at the machine.

There are limits, of course, but I am learning to adapt to my changing physical capabilities. And sooner seems to work better for me than later. I use a Go! cutter and a Slidelock ruler nowadays because I don't trust my ability to cut fabric without having a rotary cutter slip at some point.

quiltsRfun 09-27-2015 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 7328919)
Ok, this is the rage....how many are actually coloring this line of fabric with fabric markers? I did not color well as a child so this is out! Lol! I never could color within the lines...big surprise.
sandy

Who says you have to color within the lines? I say it's like quilting - no rules.

gramajo 09-27-2015 10:26 AM

Prisem, Thank you for your advice I appreciate it; I've already made many adaptations I've used a glue stick and will again if I absolutely have to and cannot pin at all any more. I have lots of light and take bifocals off for closeup. Funds are extremely limited and I can't afford another machine.

Sandygirl 09-27-2015 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 7329252)
Re: gender discussion. It seems to me [IMHO] that we who are creative, can disregard the suggestions and look outside the box. Isn't that what we do when we change a pattern or design to suit our own needs and desires?

And to Sandygirl -- how about doing your version of coloring (chilldlike style) on a suitable print and make a child's item with the fabric. I was a first grade teacher many moons ago and I still love kids' work.

good suggestion but i never really enjoyedvcoloring. I will stick with cutting up fabric and sewing it back together. I do that well.

Sandy

ShirlinAZ 09-28-2015 08:07 AM

I love this! My 6 yo granddaughter would have a blast coloring this fabric then helping me sew something for her room. Actually, she'd probably want me to help HER sew something with it! What fun!

IBQUILTIN 09-28-2015 01:00 PM

do the markers color evenly? Or have those ugly overlapping marks like markers usually do? I've not seen this product and would like to know more about it. Sounds like it would be fun

Pete 09-28-2015 03:44 PM

I'm thinking of making pillow cases , giving them the coloring pens and then having the children color them.

Marley46 09-28-2015 04:28 PM

I do feel for all you ladies suffering from arthritis. 20 years ago I had to give up spinning & knitting because of pain in my hands. I read that Magnesium is good for this problem, so started taking it. All the soreness went along with the stiffness. I have no problems now and can do whatever I want, sewing, knitting, crochet, etc, so try taking Magnesium.

k_jupiter 09-28-2015 05:14 PM

Perhaps better advice is to "Try talking to your doctor about taking magnesium.". Giving or taking medical advice on a web site is not really cool. And us men have changing arthritic joints too. Perhaps you forgot there are men on this quilting board too?

tim in san jose

mirish2 09-29-2015 04:55 AM

I''m with the people who never liked coloring. That is one of the reasons that I sew. It allows me to create without "staying inside the lines." On the other hand, my husband is delighted with his new coloring book, who knew that he would enjoy it. I guess after 43 years there are still new things to learn about each other.